News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Refurbishing 1 and 4 should be doable if they are willing to spend the extra money, The reactors were re-tubed in the 80's so they are pretty much the same age as the b side reactors, so everything would need to re-done again. I suppose it depends how desperate they are for the extra 1000MW. I figure if they are spending the money now and its not too much more might as well get all of them done at the same time.

Refurbishing 1 and 4 should be doable if they are willing to spend the extra money, The reactors were re-tubed in the 80's so they are pretty much the same age as the b side reactors, so everything would need to re-done again. I suppose it depends how desperate they are for the extra 1000MW. I figure if they are spending the money now and its not too much more might as well get all of them done at the same time.

It might be worth it given we seem to be building a sort of body of expertise in reactor refurbs, with Bruce, Darlington and now Pickering.

AoD

As far as I know, they are still in almost the same state as when they are shut-down, so there's no new barriers to being refurbished.
Yes, but the Pickering reactors are smaller than the ones at Darlington or Bruce. The Pickering Block A reactor each had around 500Mw of power production. The ones in Darlington produce 878 Mw. That's why the refurbishment was initially cancelled. The Pickering reactors were to small to justify the cost. The block B should be refurbished to get additional capacity online ASAP. But in my opinion the block A can have a longer timeframe to demolish and rebuild larger reactors, maybe even have a new generation of CANDU developed as part of the project. Canada has had billions in economic development from those previous reactor designs.

Yes, but the Pickering reactors are smaller than the ones at Darlington or Bruce. The Pickering Block A reactor each had around 500Mw of power production.
Pickering B are also 500-something - only slightly higher than Pickering A.

I'm not sure how size precludes two of the A reactors, but not the B reactors (or the other 2 A reactors).

Also, I thought the capacity at the two A reactors went up a bit during the refurb ... thought it's hard to say, the numbers I am seeing are all over the place.

...Should a separate thread be made for Pickering? Perhaps one for Darlington while we're at it?

Or just rename this thread to 'Nuclear Power infrastructure' or something instead?

The last few posts have nothing to do with the proposed new nuclear build at the Bruce site.

...Should a separate thread be made for Pickering? Perhaps one for Darlington while we're at it?

Or just rename this thread to 'Nuclear Power infrastructure' or something instead?

The last few posts have nothing to do with the proposed new nuclear build at the Bruce site.
I’d support a nuclear power thread.

Not sure a new thread on Nuclear Power or Storage was started, so I will post here for now.

I ran across this article, I do not know much about the program, except in generalities, and cannot comment on the science and engineering involved, but this is of interest given the discussions ongoing in Ontario.

Back