News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Built Books

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that there is a new architecture book store in Toronto! I posted this in the retail section earlier, but I figured I'd post it here as well for anyone that may have missed it! BUILT, Books on Architecture is hoped, in the fullness of time, to fill the void left by the sad loss last year of the venerable Ballenford Books.

We've been open for about a month now, and we have been working hard to stock up on quality architecture publications; including several major architectural periodicals, such as 2G, Detail, El Croquis and more.

For more information check out our website at: http://www.swipe.com/, read about us on BlogTO: http://www.blogto.com/bookstores/built or better yet, please stop by!

Also, if there are any books, subjects or products you guys are interested in (and we don't have them in store) please let us know, and we'd be happy to look into ordering them! Suggestions are always welcome!

All the best,
Mahan Javadi

Click the links below to see newly received titles in the store by date:
August 20th 2009
August 6th 2009

BUILT Books on Architecture
401 Richmond Street West #121
Toronto, ON M5V 3A8

416-363-1332
1-800-56-swipe

built@swipe.com

www.swipe.com

Last edited:
So, is this actually a rebranded Swipe? (Not that that's bad or anything.)

No, it's not. Built Books is actually a satellite store of Swipe.

Swipe is still at 401 Richmond St. W. focusing on graphic design and Built Books is the "architecture division" located in a new suite in the same building.

Thanks for your question!

EDIT: Here's also our first blog posting announcing our opening: http://www.swipe.com/?p=1310

Last edited:
New Titles @ Built Books!

Not sure if it is alright to post a few of the new books we've gotten in our store lately here, but I thought I'd try and share a few popular titles we've received with you guys in the retail section!

If there are any problems, forum moderators please send a PM and let us know.

I will also be coming back to this thread from time to time to post new titles, so check back regularly for the low down! Otherwise, make sure to check out our (fair well maintained) blog at: http://www.swipe.com/

The BLDGBLOG Book
Geoff Manaugh

One of our best selling titles this summer! Originally starting in 2004, the BLDG BLOG site provides intriguing details from the fringes of contemporary architectural practice in an accessible, thought-provoking, and highly entertaining manner. Here, author Geoff Manaugh presents his insights in book form, combining history, urban exploration, science fiction, design, climate change, and city planning with the view that everything is relevant to architecture. (2009: Chronicle Books; ISBN 9780811866446)

$38.95

Architecture Depends
Jeremy Till

Written in a playful manner, Jeremy Till argues that architecture is dependent on things outside itself. Despite the claims of architects to autonomy, purity, and control, architecture is buffeted by uncertainty and contingency. Architecture, he proposes, must move from a reliance on the impulsive imagination of the lone genius to a confidence in the collaborative ethical imagination, from clinging to notions of total control to a intentional acceptance of letting go. (2009: The MIT Press; ISBN 9780262012539)

$29.95

2G #50: Sou Fujimoto
Toyo Ito & Julian Worrall

Sou Fujimoto is the most representative practitioner of a distinctively Japanese style in contemporary architecture which incorporates traditional Japanese attitudes toward nature and the relationship between interior and exterior space. One of the youngest architects to be profiled in 2G, Fujimoto’s work has been restricted primarily to smaller residential projects and a variety of conceptual exercises. The issue features a critical assessment by renowned Japanese architect Toyo Ito, in many ways Fujimoto’s conceptual antecedent. (2009: Editorial Gustavo Gili; ISBN 9788425222931)

$51.95

El Croquis 143 – Gigon / Guyer, 2001 - 2008

Founded in 1982, El Croquis (‘the Sketch’ in Spanish) is consistently the most beautiful architectural periodical published anywhere in the world. With editorial in both Spanish and English, El Croquis examines the work of the world’s notable architects in an ongoing series of beautifully designed, bimonthly hardcover monographs. Unique to the publication is the comprehensive manner in which each architect’s projects are documented, with plans, sketches, and insights into all aspects of the design process. This issue features twenty new projects from Zurich-based firm, Gigon/Guyer with interviews by Hubertus Adam, Stanislaus Von Moos with Annette Gigon and Mike Guyer. (2009: El Croquis; ISBN 9788488386526)

$114.95

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUILT Books on Architecture
401 Richmond Street West, Toronto, ON M5V 3A8

Open Monday to Saturday, 11am-6pm.

416-363-1332
1-800-56-swipe

built@swipe.com

www.swipe.com

Last edited:
Welcome to UT Built Books. Do you also carry used and/or vintage books on architecture?

built.jpg

Welcome to UT Built Books. Do you also carry used and/or vintage books on architecture?

Hi androiduk,

Yes, we do carry vintage and out of print books in our store, with several on industrial/furniture design.

We also have official reprints of all the original Arts & Architecture (1945-1954) publications. Although, not technically 'vintage', it's a pretty hefty collection of the classic magazine and a great way to see the Case Study Houses as they were originally published!

Thanks for your question and posting the photo!

Last edited:
If there are any problems, forum moderators please send a PM and let us know.
Sure, it should be fine since this is an architecture forum and you aren't blatantly making this about advertising your store. Still, let's keep it to one thread (hence the merge).

Great store!

I could have walked out with half the store if my credit card allowed for that.

Is it just architecture books or can I find books about Civil Engineering and other related topics?

Also, 401 Richmond ... is that at Bathurst or Portland?

So you're advertising that you remember that wrong?

The rather bulging tenant list is here.

Is it just architecture books or can I find books about Civil Engineering and other related topics?

Also, 401 Richmond ... is that at Bathurst or Portland?

Hi Tza,

Yes, We carry books on many subjects relevant to architecture, including Civil Engineering.

We have several books by Cecil Balmond as well as a whole slew of books from the In Detail and Detail Practice series along with many other technical publications geared towards engineering.

Feel free to drop by our store and take a look, and if there are any titles you'd like to see, let us know. We're always happy to take suggestions!

Here is a map to our store.

And some public transportation directions:

Take the subway to Spadina Station. Then take the 510 Spadina street car South to Richmond Street West. Swipe Books is located inside 401 Richmond Street West (South side, just East of Spadina).

-OR-

Take the subway to Osgoode Station. Then either walk or take the 501 Queen street car West to Spadina Ave. Walk one block South on Spadina. Swipe Books is located inside 401 Richmond Street West (South side, just East of Spadina).

^401 Richmond is just east of Spadina, south side of Richmond. Big warehouse space that I remember being 90% empty/abandoned....

Sounds like you haven't visited 401 Richmond in a very long time. It is now a very vibrant community building, with hundreds of tenants in the art & design field. We even have a cool roof top patio!

As Interchange42 mentioned, check out the building website for more info! http://www.401richmond.net/

Great store!

I could have walked out with half the store if my credit card allowed for that.

Thanks, greenleaf! Hope to see you back here again soon. Cheers!

Last edited:
^lol, what I meant is that I remember, as a young lad, the 401 Richmond building being largely abandoned/empty, c.1994.

Ah I see what you meant. Yes, thankfully a lot has changed over the past 15 years! haha

If anyone hasn't been to 401 Richmond lately, they should drop by. There are quite a few art galleries and studios here. Definitely a place worth visiting if you're interested in art/culture/design.

New Titles (08-20-2009)

Hey guys,

As promised I'm back to post a few new titles we've received in the store recently. Feel free to come by and take a look at them in person. And if there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us!

Drawing for Architecture
Léon Krier

Architect Léon Krier's doodles, drawings, and ideograms make arguments in images, without the circumlocutions of prose. Drawn with wit and grace, these clever sketches do not try to please or flatter the architectural establishment. Rather, they make an impassioned argument against what Krier sees as the unquestioned doctrines and unacknowledged absurdities of contemporary architecture.

$29.95

Pet Architecture
Atelier Bow-Wow

Pet architecture is a term for the buildings that have been squeezed into left over urban spaces. Curious shapes and inventive solutions for drainage, windows and air conditioning abound. Most of all, it is the extraordinary miniature size of these shacks, store rooms, sushi bars and bike shops which makes this project so fresh. Lovingly researched by a team of very young Japanese architects, each ‘pet’ includes a humorous description, full page photograph, a map and 3d sketch.

$39.95

Density
Javier Mozas

Condensed version of an earlier publication first released in 2004, but redesigned to make consultation and handling easier. This standard work contains all the projects and comparative indicators of the earlier edition, retaining its relevance as a reference on mass housing and urban planning. Ten urban plans and 65 built projects in total are surveyed. Plans are presented at scale 1:500 and details at scale 1:20.

$89.95

10 x 10 / 3: 100 Architects, 10 Critics
Basar Shumon, Mercedes Daguerre, Luis Fernandez-Galiano, Bart Goldhoorn, Joseph Grima, Carlos Jimenez, Kengo Kuma, Andrew Mackenzie, Peter Cachola Schmal, Ai Weiwei

"10x10 / 3" is a comprehensive and global view of new architecture, presenting the work of 100 up-and-coming architects from around the world, selected by 10 of the best-informed critics, curators, and architects. Each curator has contributed a short essay written exclusively for this publication on one building or one architect that he or she believes to have had a profound impact on the course of architecture, plus ten brief essays on his/her nominated architects.

$94.95

Also make sure to check out our newest blog posting about Oscar Niemeyer and Brazilian Modernism:
http://www.swipe.com/?p=2201

Last edited:

Back