News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Unfortunately, the ethnic members of the Kid's Club were let go in this week's cutbacks.
I want to know what happened to Jaws, Lingo, Jazz (the Asian girl with trumpet), and Skates (the Indo-Canadian boy with turban) after they were let go.

So you know for a fact that not one person let go lives in Toronto proper? What's bad for the 905 is basically bad for 416 and vice-versa.

So you know for a fact that not one person let go lives in Toronto proper? What's bad for the 905 is basically bad for 416 and vice-versa.

The 905 is from beyond Fort Erie to past Oshawa. You've covered nearly every Ontarian outside of Toronto with that wide brush. I live in the 416, how does an office closing in Fort Erie affect me?

One more unemployed person in Ontario means less tax revenue to the Province. Of course it impacts you.

One more unemployed person in Ontario means less tax revenue to the Province. Of course it impacts you.

Ridiculous. There's nearly 7 million employed persons in Ontario. One more or less impacts no one, except that one. Unfortunately for him or her, their personal unemployment rate goes from 0% to 100%, and that sucks.

Though, I would say that any sort of managerial jobs at higher up offices are better paid and therefore impact the economy a lot more than a minimum wage worker at one of their "coffee" shops losing theirs....by quite a margin, I might add.

Losing 300+ of these office workers can easily have the same impact as losing 1000+ minimum wage "coffee" shop employees.

That being said, I don't really care either as I wish that whole company would disappear.

Ridiculous. There's nearly 7 million employed persons in Ontario. One more or less impacts no one, except that one. Unfortunately for him or her, their personal unemployment rate goes from 0% to 100%, and that sucks.

Well I was exaggerating somewhat. Of course one person doesn't. But it can certainly add up. Wrigley closing doesn't impact me directly but it will affect Toronto and the Province and as such will impact me.

The 905 is from beyond Fort Erie to past Oshawa. You've covered nearly every Ontarian outside of Toronto with that wide brush. I live in the 416, how does an office closing in Fort Erie affect me?

It's comments like these that make Ontarians elsewhere in the province (800,000 in Northern Ontario, 300,000 in Simcoe and Muskoka, 1.6 million in Eastern Ontario (including over 900,000 in the City of Ottawa alone), 2.5 million in southwestern Ontario (London, Windsor, Waterloo)) feed into the self-centred Torontonian sterotype they resent.

There are more than 5 million Ontarians (out of 13 million in total) not in Toronto or the 905. That is nearly 40% of Ontarians. Ontario less the 905 and 416 would be the third largest province in Canada, after Quebec and the GTA. Clearly the 905 is not "nearly every Ontarian" outside of Toronto.

Last edited:
It's comments like these that make Ontarians elsewhere in the province (800,000 in Northern Ontario, 300,000 in Simcoe and Muskoka, 1.6 million in Eastern Ontario (including over 900,000 in the City of Ottawa alone), 2.5 million in southwestern Ontario (London, Windsor, Waterloo)) feed into the self-centred Torontonian sterotype they resent.

There are more than 5 million Ontarians (out of 13 million in total) not in Toronto or the 905. That is nearly 40% of Ontarians. Ontario less the 905 and 416 would be the third largest province in Canada, after Quebec and the GTA. Clearly the 905 is not "nearly every Ontarian" outside of Toronto.

You've missed the forest for the trees. Transplant that office closing to Timmins or Kanata instead of Oakville, and it still doesn't affect Cabbagetown one iota.

Well I was exaggerating somewhat. Of course one person doesn't. But it can certainly add up. Wrigley closing doesn't impact me directly but it will affect Toronto and the Province and as such will impact me.

In all seriousness, while it sucks for those people who have to start looking for another job, the population of the GTA is up 470,000ish people between 2011 and today: http://www.blogto.com/city/2015/02/population_of_toronto_area_over_6_million_for_first_time/

The 400 Wrigley jobs lost are round-off error in the greater scheme of things. Not to mention there will be jobs created by whomever reuses/renovates/repurposes the factory.

Make no mistake, a broad-based economic slowdown could be in the cards and THAT would affect all of Ontario. But any one-off shutting of a factory/office/corner store in Toronto is just part of the dynamic pattern of a globally integrated market economy.

It's comments like these that make Ontarians elsewhere in the province...feed into the self-centred Torontonian sterotype they resent.

Yes, but it also works in reverse. How many of those other Ontarians moan and fret about Toronto getting more than its share, especially when it comes to infrastructure needs like transit. They have a "I don't ride the subway, why should I pay for it" mentality.

The fact is, love it or hate it, the GTA is the beating heart of the province and needs to be recognized as such, even by those not directly in the area. If Toronto goes down, we all go down. I'm from the Maritimes, so I understand the resentment towards anyone or anything that manages to do well in this life, but TO deserves everything it gets and more. It's easy to mistake knowing your importance to being self-centered.

Back