News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Is there going to be BMT/BRT to the airport? Can people use LRT to get to stations that will have a connection to the Line that goes to the airport?
According to this report from February 2022:

"The Airport Connection is assumed to operate between a grade-separated station downtown – with walk connections to mass transit lines nearby – and an elevated station at the airport terminal entrance. This line is proposed to ultimately follow the CP railway corridor and remain east of Calgary Trail/Gateway Boulevard until near the Airport. Intermediate stations would allow for connections to other bus routes. Of special note, stations would be included at 23 Avenue and Whyte Avenue."

It would not start off as a rail-based service. The recommendation for transit services at a population of 1.25 million is: "...to provide coverage by extending bus services using the B1 corridor between approximately 104 Ave (downtown) and 23 Ave NW. Because this route extends well beyond the city to EIA, there may arise challenges with operational reliability. In addition, operating bus service with stops along the Queen Elizabeth Highway may also require a provincial partnership."

At around a population of 1.5 million, the report says: "An Airport Connector service from downtown, but likely as a highway-based connection, or if rail, using existing rail corridors and deferring construction of a new river crossing;"

This technical study from 2020 provides additional context:

"This proposed route would provide regional and intercity travel to the Airport, connecting with other services including the Metro Line, Capital Line, Valley Line and other City-wide routes ( B1, B2, R8, B5, and R3 (described in the next section). Stops would be every 3-4 km in general (with possible shorter spacing within dense urban areas), to allow for higher speeds, and stations farther out from the centre could include bus transit loops and park and ride facilities. Additionally, an airport connector would provide a connection north from the continued growth of the southeast and southwest. Therefore, a connection to the Centre City node (including an exclusive river crossing) will provide an additional option for travel north to Centre City. While the service considers use of the CP rail corridor, or operations adjacent to it, that concept may not be immediately feasible given other uses of the freight corridor and objectives of the railway company. Partnership with the Province would be required for the development of the Airport Connector. Feasibility of the route would be improved if the Airport Connector were to be incorporated as part of a potential intercity transit corridor between Edmonton and Calgary.

An interim solution may be available to provide coverage by extending bus services using the B1 (described in next section). However, the Airport Connector is proposed to stop less often, and operate less frequently due to lower demand to and from the airport. Therefore, a service plan would likely need to be developed for the B1 to only serve the airport on certain trips. Because this route extends well beyond the city to EIA, there may arise challenges with operational reliability. In addition, operating bus service with stops along the Queen Elizabeth Highway Highway 2may also require a provincial partnership."

Last edited:
Keep in mind that any bus route to the airport will be regional and therefore operated by the EMTSC.

A downtown-airport bus would probably piggyback off the BRT infrastructure built for the Gateway corridor. Honestly I'm hoping that coach buses will be deployed on that route since it's basically a short haul intercity express, with similar luggage and seating requirements.

A Google Map shot of Calgary's MAX Transit on 17 Avenue SE/International Avenue:

I thought I'd share this post from Miscellaneous Projects:

Screenshot_20221005-091747_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221005-091058_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221005-091719_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221005-091700_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221005-091027_Samsung Internet.jpg

engaged.edmonton.ca

Mass Transit: Network Implementation for 1.25 Million People

We want to hear from you about transit in your community! Edmonton needs a robust transit network that connects to all areas of the city, providing Edmontonians with access to safe, convenient and reliable service. The foundation of any transit network is mass transit.
engaged.edmonton.ca
engaged.edmonton.ca

I think that Calgary Trail/97 Street could work, and it would be a vital north-south route. I think that the intersection at 97 Street/118 Avenue could be a bottleneck.

Option 2 all day for all the areas.
I see option one being treated the same way bike lanes are now. Used as a loading zone / street parking, windrow.
Imagine winter… it would be a mess
Id rather see transit lanes run down the middle. Better separation, better signal priority, easier to make turns. Its just, higher quality.

I’m curious if there’s a potential for a rail conversion in the next LRT buildout. (~30+ years/HLB replacement) they would be steps ahead if it was possible.

I think Option 2 might work better, given the businesses or residences along the sides. I posted a Google Map link to Calgary’s 17 Avenue SE.

Back