8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

jbcurio

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone know which TTC bus routes directly serviced Yorkdale prior to the opening of the Spadina subway in 1978? I'm assuming Dufferin did, but which others went into or dropped passengers off close to the mall?

I am not sure but since Yorkdale fronts Dufferin St it would only have been the Dufferin bus that stopped in front of the mall just like the present Dufferin bus does. I can't imagine there being a special bus that went into the parking area. I mean its only a few minutes walk from the Dufferin bus stop to the front doors of the mall. And in the beginning Yorkdale was a much smaller mall. Yorkdale is not like Square One in Mississauga with all those buses. I know there is the Caledonia bus that would turn into Yorkdale Rd and would stop where the present Go buses are. Then when it left it travelled back out, onto Bridgeland which turns into Caledonia Rd. But I highly doubt there was a special bus, But then again the mall opened in the 60's so I don't know. Why are you interested in this?

Does anyone know which TTC bus routes directly serviced Yorkdale prior to the opening of the Spadina subway in 1978? I'm assuming Dufferin did, but which others went into or dropped passengers off close to the mall?

Transit Toronto TTC Map Archive

Yorkdale opened in 1964.

Spadina subway opened in 1978.

In 1976, Yorkdale was served by 18 Caledonia, which ran from Christie Station on Bloor. It corresponds to what is now 47 Lansdowne, which still runs to Yorkdale from Lansdowne Station.

But you really can't say that the bus was solely to service Yorkdale.That route is not a busy route and I am not sure how frequent service is. But I was surprised to see the history of the 18 Caledonia bus and that it ran on one of the streets my sister lives on and past the street we all lived on with my parents.

It probably serviced Yorkdale in the same way the Malton bus has long serviced Pearson.

Back