9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

wonderboy416

Member Bio
Reaction score
I headed out to Busan from August 14th - 18th. It is South Korea's second largest city (think of it as being to Seoul what Vancouver is to Toronto - nicer weather, on the ocean, more beautiful setting - yet smaller in terms of population, size, cultural activity and economic pull). It has a population of just under 4,000,000 and is one of the world's largest and most important seaports. Although my stay was breif I was able to get out and see many great areas of the city. Like Seoul, there's no distinctive skyline, rather there's dozens of smaller skylines throughout the city.

Boarding the KTX rapid train at Seoul. The train I took hit a top speed of 305 kmh - it's a shame we have no such service connecting our cities in Canada. The ticket was about $50 each way from Seoul to Busan, a 329km trip. The Koreans are quite proud of their KTX trains as they use 87% Korean technology and borrowed nothing from Japan's infamous bullet trains. Few countries would have the abilities or resources to take on such a feat.
DSCN2343.jpg

Building 63, one of the first skyscrapers in Seoul often referred to as the Asian miracle as viewed from the window of the train.
DSCN2348.jpg

Korean Country side.
DSCN2356.jpg

First views of Busan.
DSCN2362.jpg

DSCN2364.jpg

DSCN2367.jpg

DSCN2368.jpg

Entering China town... not very busy on a Friday afternoon.
DSCN2369.jpg

We decided to walk our way to Nampo-dong rather than take the metro, one of the busiest areas in the city known for its shopping and markets. Along the way I snapped a few photos and got to see one of Asia's future tallest under construction.
DSCN2371.jpg

It's obvious that Busan has a very large seaport.
DSCN2373.jpg

Be careful when you see two barber shop poles, that's not where you go to get your haircut... You'll find the same practice in Seoul.
DSCN2374.jpg

At 510m the Lotte World Tower is going to be something special when it's finished.
DSCN2379.jpg

Entering one of the famous shopping streets in Nampo-dong. We were setting out to find a cheap motel for the evening.
DSCN2380.jpg

DSCN2382.jpg

DSCN2383.jpg

We took a slight detour up to a park overlooking the city.
DSCN2387.jpg

DSCN2388.jpg

DSCN2390.jpg

It wasn't very clear so we decided not to head up the tower.
DSCN2393.jpg

DSCN2394.jpg

DSCN2399.jpg

Excercise machines are common in public areas all over Korea it seems.
DSCN2401.jpg

After that nice diversion it was back to the mission at hand.
DSCN2403.jpg

DSCN2404.jpg

DSCN2405.jpg

DSCN2406.jpg

DSCN2407.jpg

DSCN2409.jpg

DSCN2414.jpg

A 2-story 7/11? Only in Korea...
DSCN2415.jpg

DSCN2416.jpg

In the ally off one of the main streets we found a small bounty of love motels and settled on this one. Many foreigners in Korea prefer these to hostels as you will be able to get a full-size hotel room and bathroom for a fraction of the cost of a regular hotel. This one was only 25,000 won/night (about $20). The only downfall is having to leave your key at the front desk and ignoring the calling cards left at your door for ladies of the night.
DSCN2417.jpg

DSCN2418.jpg

We decided to have an easy night on Friday and checked out Texas street. This was billed as the main foreigner area of the city. I was curious to see how it compared to Seoul's Itaewon which is quite large and has incredible food, lots of shopping and many great bars and clubs. This was nothing at all like that, instead it was just a few small gogo bars and lots of US navy wondering around. We set up camp on a patio and just watched the action from there.
DSCN2422.jpg

Off to Hauendai beach the next morning, Korea's most famous beach.
DSCN2427.jpg

This didn't look too tasty...
DSCN2429.jpg

DSCN2431.jpg

Words cannot describe how we felt when we saw the beach. It was one of those "only in Korea moments". I'll let the pictures do the talking. Needless to say we didn't spend our day at the beach. Although we did re-visit the area and came back to the beach at 4am for a night swim and to do some moon-bathing.
DSCN2433.jpg

DSCN2434.jpg

DSCN2436.jpg

DSCN2439.jpg

DSCN2440.jpg

We decided to explore the area. As I mentioned we were to return later that night to check out the night life.
DSCN2443.jpg

DSCN2445.jpg

DSCN2447.jpg

DSCN2448.jpg

DSCN2450.jpg

Then it was off to Seomeyeon to find a new motel for the evening.
DSCN2456.jpg

DSCN2457.jpg

DSCN2459.jpg

DSCN2463.jpg

DSCN2465.jpg

DSCN2466.jpg

DSCN2467.jpg

DSCN2468.jpg

DSCN2469.jpg

DSCN2470.jpg

DSCN2472.jpg

DSCN2473.jpg

Busan is famous for its seafood and is said to have the best sushi anywhere outside of Japan. I cannot disagree with this.
DSCN2474.jpg

We checked out the area around Busan National University at night before going out to Haeundai, I wonder if Kenny knows about this place.
DSCN2481.jpg

A club in Haeundai...
DSCN2485.jpg

Next thing I knew it was back to the KTX station to return to Seoul.
DSCN2497.jpg

Busan,South Korea pics...Interesting!

W416: Good tour of Busan,South Korea starting with the HSR train to
travel there!

Lots of variety-like that Chinatown for foreigners(Like us) including that 2-story 7 Eleven store - coming from LI as I do
there are more then 200 of them there - it seems you can't get away from them!

LI MIKE

Looks like every public sign has Chinese as well as English and Korean. Is it because of large Chinese communities, or is the government doing it to promote the language?

LI Mike, thanks :)

Looks like every public sign has Chinese as well as English and Korean. Is it because of large Chinese communities, or is the government doing it to promote the language?

Actually the written form of Korean is quite new (about 400 years). Prior to that Koreans used the written Chinese language. It's actually a part of their heritage so you'll still see many Chinese characters. A lot of the older Koreans can read Chinese as well.

Great pics. Every time I see your photos I just want to get up and go.

I think you need some more pics of "nice diversions" though ;).

Great pics. Every time I see your photos I just want to get up and go.

I think you need some more pics of "nice diversions" though .

Then you should!
The market right now is not as good for teachers, they're being paid less than a year ago when I was applying and it's now an employers market. There's a flood of new applicants, I guess the tough economy has left many inexperienced 20'somethings out of luck back home and they have turned to trying to come over here.

If you have teaching experience or any formal teaching qualifications you should be fine to get into a big city like Seoul or Busan, if not you may have a bit of a tough time or will have to be patient. I'm exploring my options now as my contract is up Oct 31st and am finding it's nowhere near as easy as it was last year even with a year's experience and the ability to go talk to potential employers face to face.

I have one more break in October... seriously debating Tokyo vs Manila right now for my next trip.

Then you should!
The market right now is not as good for teachers, they're being paid less than a year ago when I was applying and it's now an employers market. There's a flood of new applicants, I guess the tough economy has left many inexperienced 20'somethings out of luck back home and they have turned to trying to come over here.

If you have teaching experience or any formal teaching qualifications you should be fine to get into a big city like Seoul or Busan, if not you may have a bit of a tough time or will have to be patient. I'm exploring my options now as my contract is up Oct 31st and am finding it's nowhere near as easy as it was last year even with a year's experience and the ability to go talk to potential employers face to face.

I have one more break in October... seriously debating Tokyo vs Manila right now for my next trip.

Trust me, I'm always thinking about it! Unfortunately I can't just go at this point. I wish I was in my early 20s with no business or responsibilities. I'm still trying to make it happen though.

I have four years of tutoring experience. I've done one interview, but haven't gone ahead with the process. As I check up on things once in a while, I have noticed a lot of people who've been hired have had their employment date pushed back, or they've been told their services are no longer needed. How long do you think the lack of demand will last?

I would go to Tokyo.

I have four years of tutoring experience. I've done one interview, but haven't gone ahead with the process. As I check up on things once in a while, I have noticed a lot of people who've been hired have had their employment date pushed back, or they've been told their services are no longer needed. How long do you think the lack of demand will last?

Probably until the economy recovers. There's still many great jobs to be had, it's just going to require more patience finding them it seems.

I would go to Tokyo.

Seems the obvious choice, but Manila is a fraction of the cost... and from what I hear Tokyo doesn't differ from Seoul a whole lot. I'd still love to see it though. hmm

Back