News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Well, you all got your wish. Coffee Time is no more.

Now there is no 24 hour anything in Cabbagetown. F@&k.

Where's the nearest 24 hour store to Parliament and Carlton? There's got to be something closer than the one on River, south of Gerrard (at the crosswalk), right?

Fantastic. Score one for the neighbourhood. What happened? What's taking over the space? I'd say that rent and taxes drove them out.

I'd say it's competition that got them more than anything. The Tim Horton's across the street will get you every time. I have no idea what's taking over the space. There's a lot of empty space between Gerrard and Winchester.

Oh, the Wing Machine is applying for a Liquor Licence again, and the old Wing Machine location has the windows papered up, leading me to believe they're working on the inside.

We'll see, I guess.

Im doing my masters in urban planning and a newly Cabbagetown resident and I love the area, also learned that the new low rise building going up on the west side of parliment is a Starbucks

Im doing my masters in urban planning and a newly Cabbagetown resident and I love the area, also learned that the new low rise building going up on the west side of parliment is a Starbucks

Hello, and welcome to Cabbagetown.

Yes, we've discussed the Starbucks earlier in the thread. I don't know that it's really any competition for a Coffee Crime, however. I can't imagine too much in terms of customer crossover. Jet Fuel and Tim Horton's can't be too happy about it, however.

Actually, I'm somewhat surprised that Starbucks is going up right arcoss the street from Jet Fuel. Do they not know that Jet Fuel charges about 55% less for a comparable product (it's $3 for latte at Jet Fuel)? Maybe they're hoping a lot of other people won't know that. And let's not get into coffee snobery, they're at least comparable products.

As for the Wing Machine LLBO, yeah. I doubt they'll get it, and it may be a blessing in disguise for them if they don't. I don't know if the staff is ready for the type of people that booze can bring in. They'd be wise to charge a hefty price, should they get the taps flowing. That being said, they do have a notice of application in the window again.

Many, if not most, Pizza Pizzas do have a liquor licence. Next time your in one look in the fridge, there's often beer.

Does it not bother anyone else that EVERYTHING other than bars will now be closed at 11pm? It seems beyond comprehension that so far into the city centre of Toronto you can be no closer than 3 full city blocks to a 24 hour cafe/store/whatever. I wouldn't lament the closing of the Coffee Time one bit, were it not for that.

Oh, and how did the street festival go this year? I was out of town that weekend

It was my first street festival this year and it was very interesting, electic if you will with the mixture of people that make up this area ,

The Cabbagetown Tour of Homes was great on Sunday.

I saw a sign for that, but I'll have to admit I was a bit weary of just walking into people's homes. I can't imagine just opening up my house for the whole neighbourhood to come walk though.

The white trash crowd is still lazing about Coffee Time. There's a sign in the window that they are undergoing renovations.

Where are these folks coming from? There's no "new" public housing in the area, IIRC.

Now Mr Beez, no need to be so antagonistic towards the "white trash." Afterall, chances are great they pick up your trash....

It seems the only people still acceptable to pick on these days are religious muslims and white trash/rednecks.

Anyhow, I know a Coffee Time franchise owner...so I'm biased.:)

Anyhow, I know a Coffee Time franchise owner...so I'm biased.:)
Tell me, does he/she live in Cabbagetown? If they do, they must know that they're not being a good neighbour by attracting street people and white trash (I'm sticking with that term) loiterers lazing about on Winchester all day. If he doesn't live in Cabbagetown, let's send him a message that his shop is a negative influence on the area.

Yes, i realized the other day that the rumors of Coffee Time's death were greatly exaggerated. The scooter crew is there all day everyday. I mean until at least 11pm most nights.

Also, I've noticed the Starbucks building on Aberdeen and Parliament is clad (at least partially) in brick, which is wonderfully unexpected. I don't remember the rendering showing brick.

Yes, i realized the other day that the rumors of Coffee Time's death were greatly exaggerated. The scooter crew is there all day everyday. I mean until at least 11pm most nights.

Also, I've noticed the Starbucks building on Aberdeen and Parliament is clad (at least partially) in brick, which is wonderfully unexpected. I don't remember the rendering showing brick.

Yeah, the scooter crew is unassailable. They're now getting their coffee from Tim Hortons, and if Tim Hortons went under, they'd start making their own right on that corner.

I'm going to assume Coffee Time is dead, because the thought of them doing a renovation makes me LOLz. That whole building is now empty.... They owner hasn't had much luck with the East unit (ex-Cabbagetown Mews, ex-NDP office).

Any more ideas? We now have two large units available (Carlton/Parliament, Winchester/Parliament). The problem is that the Cabbagetowners don't seem to shop/eat on Parliament, because the demographics of the neighborhood don't fit with the type of retail available. It's a chicken and egg kind of thing...

What about a vet? Do we have any vets?

Back