News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I don't understand why or how this building got into this condition:mad: It is a designated heritage building. I could be wrong but I thought that owners of designated Heritage buildings are entitled to special grants to maintain the heritage character of the bldg. as well as special tax breaks:confused: Nothing has been done to repair the damage caused by fire last year - the upper level windows were just boarded up. I wish it would undergo a complete restoration as was done to the building to its South housing the new H.O.P. For a designated Heritage district - the commercial parts of Cabbagetown are pretty shabby looking:mad:

When I visited the HOP 2 months ago on a trip back to Toronto, our server mentioned that the previous landlord had unrealistic rent demands. I imagine that 256-258-260 are owned by the same landlord.

I don't understand why or how this building got into this condition:mad: It is a designated heritage building. I could be wrong but I thought that owners of designated Heritage buildings are entitled to special grants to maintain the heritage character of the bldg. as well as special tax breaks:confused: Nothing has been done to repair the damage caused by fire last year - the upper level windows were just boarded up. I wish it would undergo a complete restoration as was done to the building to its South housing the new H.O.P. For a designated Heritage district - the commercial parts of Cabbagetown are pretty shabby looking:mad:

I heard that putting out the fire actually caused heavy water damage through the structure. It may be a pretty complex repair job.
As above, I wonder if it is the same owner for all buildings. Perhaps the Grasshopper was evicted as a way to market that entire lower level as one big unit.

Last edited:
I heard that putting out the fire actually caused heavy water damage through the structure. It may be a pretty complex repair job.
As above, I wonder if it is the same owner for all buildings. Perhaps the Grasshopper was evicted as a way to market that entire lower level as one big unit.

I would think that they would have insurance to cover any costly repairs:confused:

Possibly, but if the damage is extensive there may not be enough insurance. Combined with deductibles and the loss of rent from the tenants leaving, it might make it financially unafordable.

Another possibility is the insurance payout has been delayed due to a lawsuit or because the insurance company denied the claim.

Lots of possibilities. Perhaps the BIA will know more. I think I'll email and ask.

Last edited:
word on the street is the Grasshopper got the boot to make from for...

A night club.

Sounds like the owner of the property tried to push out the Grasshopper with the intention of keeping the liquor licence. The owner of the Grasshopper left, but said "Eat it. I'll take the licence with me to China" (not a direct quote).

Last edited:
The building is now surrounded with chainlink fencing.

If the rumour is true, I'd surprised they got a permit for the location! Cabbagetown? With houses nearby? Weird.

The building is now surrounded with chainlink fencing.

If the rumour is true, I'd surprised they got a permit for the location! Cabbagetown? With houses nearby? Weird.

Hopefully this means that a major restoration is about to take place (perhaps they were waiting for the last tenant to leave before starting). You only have to look at the H.O.P. next door to see what the potential is since they are essentially the same design of building.

I should mention that it would be in old HOP space as well as the Grasshopper space which would be used for this new venue, not just the Grasshopper space. Sounds like it'd be quite a major renovation.

Yeah, I've been to the underdown a few times. That new patio is great, the service is good, and they've a decent beer selection. The downstairs is pretty nice for a basement. I only ate there once (i had the nachos) and it wasn't great, but that was when they first opened about 8 months ago. They close the patio at 11, so as not to upset the neighbours. I'm not big into Jazz, so I've never stuck around for the music.

A few quick questions for the experienced Cabbagetowners here:

- Can anyone comment on the level of hooker/john activity in Prime Cabbagetown (north of Gerrard, east of Parliament)?
- Does anyone have children attending Sprucecourt Jr or Winchester Jr schools? How bad are they?
- What's the yummy mummy quotient (YMQ)?
- How bad is street parking?

A few quick questions for the experienced Cabbagetowners here:

- Can anyone comment on the level of hooker/john activity in Prime Cabbagetown (north of Gerrard, east of Parliament)?
- Does anyone have children attending Sprucecourt Jr or Winchester Jr schools? How bad are they?
- What's the yummy mummy quotient (YMQ)?
- How bad is street parking?
Hi. I live on Sumach, south of Spruce, bought our semi in 1998. Haven't seen a hooker since about 1999.

My two kids attend Winchester PS. It's switching to 100% French Immersion in Sept 2012, and enrollment won't be based on catchment area, but on lottery and waiting lists, so if you want in you need to enroll this Sept 2011. My kids are in the English stream at Winchester, which will eventually be eliminated in seven years time - at least that's the plan from the Trustee.

No one in CT sends their kids to Spruce Court. It's populated nearly 100% with Regent Park kids. ESL is big there. When Winchester goes to full French Immersion Spruce Court will be converted to a K to 6 to a K to 8 school, likely with portables in the short-term, but also requiring a bigger gymnasium. Maybe then Spruce Court won't be seen in CT as a school solely for minority immigrant children.

Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic school on Sherbourne is also very well regarded. It's easy to get in, just get yourself or your child baptized Catholic, and sign-up on registration day. The school bus for Lourdes picks up at the corner of Sumach and Spruce.

Never had a problem with on-street parking. You need a permit from the city. The ticket police are vigilant so make sure any visitors you have buy a daily visitors permit from the city.

I love living and raising my kids in Cabbagetown. I work in Markham so the commute can be nasty, but I'll never move to the burbs. I lived in Fredericton, NB for three years and rented out the house on Sumach, but the maritimes is not my favourite spot, good for vacation, not for living, especially if you're "from away".

It's been a few years since I lived in "Prime Cabbagetown", but I still visit frequently, day and night, and can say there is no prostitution activity at all.

It's easy to get in, just get yourself or your child baptized Catholic, and sign-up on registration day.
Unless they've changed the rules, you don't have to be Catholic to attend the Catholic school board. It used to be at least, they were legally required to take anyone - with perhaps a provision that your taxes had to go that way ... though I don't know how that works now that Harris has changed it so the taxes go to the Province ...

Back