News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

They need to cleanup the area around Allen Gardens though ... its a nice park as well, but there are typically many homeless people ! Now I've never had a bad experience with any of them, heck some are even friendly if you back to them ! But again when bringing a guest it generally just makes them uncomfortable

They need to cleanup the area around Allen Gardens though ... its a nice park as well, but there are typically many homeless people ! Now I've never had a bad experience with any of them, heck some are even friendly if you back to them ! But again when bringing a guest it generally just makes them uncomfortable

Much easier said than done. If you want to propose cleaning up homeless people from somewhere, you need to include where you're going to send them to. Probably half the city's shelters, rooming houses, charities and support services operate immediately south of there. If you can find the neighborhood that will happily welcome 1,000 new homeless residents, I'm sure arrangements can be made to do it. Good luck.

I know its hard and there is no good answer unfortunately.

You know what I wonder though, in some American cities (thinking about NYC) you don't tend to see many homeless in parks, granted you don't in Toronto either less these 2 prominent ones on the east side, I wonder how they regulate that ... maybe they just force them out which wasn't my idea at all ...

I know its hard and there is no good answer unfortunately.

You know what I wonder though, in some American cities (thinking about NYC) you don't tend to see many homeless in parks, granted you don't in Toronto either less these 2 prominent ones on the east side, I wonder how they regulate that ... maybe they just force them out which wasn't my idea at all ...

I don't recall the details, somehow Giuliani managed to collect and ship them out of Manhattan to motels somewhere out in the boroughs until they could be housed. It went something like that, back in the mid or late 90's when he was Disneyfying NYC.

Is that still the situation ? I noticed even in London its a similar story (but if you look under the covers they have huge homeless issues as well) ... I just don't know where they house them to keep them out of most public parks, at least the prominent ones.

New York City doesn't have all their main homeless shelters and services in one neighbourhood, like Toronto does. In NYC, it seems more dispersed around Manhattan, so you don't notice large groups of homeless people in certain areas. Our problem is that there are too many large shelters all in one area. If we just spaced things out a bit, it wouldn't be such a problem.

Not that I like the current situation either, but I have to say it WOULD be a problem for them. All these shelters close together makes it easier for them to go to another one if the first one is full or seems particularly dangerous that night.

They need to be assessed as to what their needs are and how independently they can live and placed into new (or existing) facilities based on their scoring spread out around the city. The obvious approach is to permanently house these folks and use shelters as they are meant to be used, for the newly homeless and to get those who cannot function in any type of structured environment in from the elements when the need arises. Some need to be placed in staffed facilities that offer up meals and a low level of supervision, others can live in more independently run units. This will never eliminate the problem, but it sure would put a massive dent into it. The second step would be for social workers to help integrate those who are able, back into the community. As always there needs to be the political will and the funding to begin addressing getting these folks into permanent housing.

They city should have declared a state of emergency. Taking 4 days to restore power is a non-emergency response, but you need power to survive in your home in the winter when it's so cold. 24 hours should be the maximum time to restore power in the winter. If that's not possible, it's an emergency.

They city should have declared a state of emergency. Taking 4 days to restore power is a non-emergency response, but you need power to survive in your home in the winter when it's so cold. 24 hours should be the maximum time to restore power in the winter. If that's not possible, it's an emergency.

I live in Cabbagetown and we never lost power. In fact according to this map, it was one of the luckiest areas of the city.

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-12-24%2520at%25207.53.54%2520PM.png

On the CBC, they said that declaring an emergency sometimes slows things down because it takes longer for the multi-governmental bureaucracy to gear up to organize itself to solve the problem, then if one level of government just keeps chipping away at it.

What was frustrating was seeing entire streets closed down because of some easily moveable branches in the middle of the road. It's not a crime scene folks! It's okay to pull the branches to the side of the road. I think the yellow police tape surrounding some of the branches made people think it was CSI or something. If there's no power lines down and if they're light enough to move, then drag 'em over.

If there was caution tape around fallen branches or parts of trees, you don't think there was a reasonable possibility that the area could be electrified?

Re: that map above, I'm just a little west of cabbagetown and I didn't see any areas of buildings in the dark around downtown south/east/west and I have a pretty good view of things.

Back