News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I am thinking of buying a condominium in an (older) building that has a bulk purchase contract with Rogers Cable TV and gets their Ultimate Digital package plus 3 standard digital boxes for about $32 a month. It is a compulsory charge so all units get this package but can then buy additional channels. From the Rogers site, the 'retail price' of this 'basic' package (without the boxes) is about $75 so this is a pretty good deal. Do most condominium buildings in Toronto have these packages? Any other comments?
Anyone I know in an older condo has this type of package -- sometimes it's included in maintenance fees. I don't hear of it in new condos though.

As for Netflix vs cable, yes it's way cheaper, but if you watch a lot, check your internet usage or you could be paying some hefty overage fees depending on your package. Same with Apple TV.

If you're talking about analogue on the tube TV, you're lucky Rogers still allows this. I thought they would have cut off analogue completely in 2012.

It's digital, not analogue, it's standard def on a tube TV.

Mine work just fine. I have both the 4250HD and the 8300HD PVR units. I can even program the PVR over the internet from my cell phone. There was a drive-spinning-up firmware issue a couple of years ago with the 8300HD PVR but that was corrected a long, long time ago.

My main issue with these is that the interface is slow (esp. on the 4250HD) and not really well laid out, and there is no whole home PVR support.

Current issues: some programs on some channels will not record when programmed, some programs record split into multiple files, recording "flags" overwrite older archived programs, audio dropouts and a few others.

I also even have an old 3250HD. It actually still works, but the DVI port finally died. I switched it to using analogue component video and it continued to work fine after that (sans DVI).

I've read about this, it could be the DVI port has been erroneously disabled (some models).

Actually, my real main issue is that I don't watch much cable TV anymore so I really don't need all this crap. ;) However, my wife does, so I continue to pay the $850 a year for this unfortunately.

If you don't have any obstructions to the southern sky you can get a whack of Canadian and American network channels in HD with a $20-130 antenna, and the picture quality is better because the signal is not compressed all to hell like Rogers does. Downside: heavy rain storms/snow storms. I've yet to find a PVR option for OTA though.

Anyone I know in an older condo has this type of package -- sometimes it's included in maintenance fees. I don't hear of it in new condos though.

It's not allowed anymore as per the CRTC, those packages are grandfathered.

As for Netflix vs cable, yes it's way cheaper, but if you watch a lot, check your internet usage or you could be paying some hefty overage fees depending on your package. Same with Apple TV.

US Netflix is easy to subscribe to, just Google it.

Last edited:
All television channels/signals are digital.

Meaning they're delivered as a highly compressed MPEG transport streams, but may start out as analog...and feeding you're tube tv, are output from the box as analog signals.

All telephone calls are digital as well, btw....it doesn't really mean anything.

Do you have a reference to the CRTC Ruling?

I tried to find the wording but can't, perhaps it's somewhere in the link below, I didn't re-read the whole page. The Broadcasting Distribution Regulations as it applies to us, begins at about point 79. Our building is in a contract with Rogers and will not allow Bell to bring in fiber optic lines to distribute their FIBE network within the building. We are currently challenging this because we believe that it puts our residents at a disadvantage for choosing what they believe to be the better provider for the services that they want plus it prevents them from better negotiating rates when two parties offer the same or very similar services (television packages, home phone and high speed Internet). http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1997/PB97-150.HTM

I tried to find the wording but can't, perhaps it's somewhere in the link below, I didn't re-read the whole page. The Broadcasting Distribution Regulations as it applies to us, begins at about point 79. Our building is in a contract with Rogers and will not allow Bell to bring in fiber optic lines to distribute their FIBE network within the building. We are currently challenging this because we believe that it puts our residents at a disadvantage for choosing what they believe to be the better provider for the services that they want plus it prevents them from better negotiating rates when two parties offer the same or very similar services (television packages, home phone and high speed Internet). http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1997/PB97-150.HTM
Thanks, when you get resolution can you post info here? (I tried to pm you but your quota is full!)

Thanks, when you get resolution can you post info here? (I tried to pm you but your quota is full!)

Sure will. PM full quota fixed.

I am in an older condo, and on the board so I am privy to our contracts. We just renegotiated with Rogers and we get a very good bulk rate. The deal was, and continues to be, all the channels but the premium pay ones (TMN, HBO, etc.) plus two free boxes. All this is included in the maintenance fees.

Meanwhile, I pay for TMN and HBO and a PVR rental for a total of $45, tax included, because I like the On Demand features and the new online/streaming TMNgo.

I also get NetFlix (loved Orange is the New Black and House of Cards is an EXCELLENT remake of a great British series). I like it because I m into foreign flicks and there are many to choose from, most of which have never hit Toronto theatres. It is also great for catching up on all those TV series you missed the first time around. For me, that includes Arrested Development, Saving Grace and, of course, the first four seasons of Breaking Bad. Totally worth the $8. As for downloading costs, I am online all day at home and stream a lot but I find that my 60GB a month package is more than enough.

Back