News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Re: First it was Tokyo's new 'CN Tower'. Now it's Chicago's

Actually, Nick Van Rijn gets that last point wrong: the point - I mean broadcast mast - is counted sometimes, not others, and it is in this particular case in Chicago. Silly old Emporis explains all of that in detail.

I think it's the Federal Avaiation Authority in the States that is forbidding anything being built higher than 2,000 feet, because they don't want their planes hitting anything, including broadcast masts.

Trump is pathetic, trying to "scare" buyers away from a competitor using terrorism concerns. Whether the concern is valid or not he should keep his mouth shut and let buyers decide.
I've never seen any developer spend so much time criticizing other projects - solely because they are larger.

The Tribune Tower looks more like a "free standing structure" than a residential or commercial building. If its purpose is just communications I'd assume it will be cancelled because the newer mixed use project can accomodate that role at the top.

Chicago Spire (Chicago) 2000 Foot

[published on Thu, Mar 30, 2006]

CHICAGO – A proposed condominium and hotel tower that would be the tallest building in North America won approval from the Chicago City Council today, clearing the way for construction to start later this year.

The council approved a measure that raises the height limit on structures at the site to accommodate the 2,000-foot tower. The building, named the Fordham Spire, would top Chicago's Sears Tower and the planned Freedom Tower in New York as the tallest in North America.

The building was designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava and has a twisting design that resembles a drill bit.

"It's really unique and different, and that's a great symbol," Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley said at a press conference outside the council chambers. "We have great skyscrapers here."

The $550 million, 124-story building to be developed by the Fordham Co. will have about 300 condominiums, 250,000 square feet of hotel space, retail stores and restaurants. It will overlook the Chicago River where it meets Lake Michigan.

"I think the results, as far as the design and function of the building, have been improved because of the interface with the city," Fordham Chairman Chris Carley, 64, said in an interview today.

Fordham has said construction will begin around the end of the year, and the building should be completed by 2010.

Some Condos Reserved

The company already has reservations for 30 of the condominiums and will take more starting in April. The condos, which will start at about 700 square feet, may sell for more than $1,000 a square foot, according to Carley.

Fordham is a closely held real estate developer based in Chicago and founded by Carley in 1988. The company has other developments in Chicago's Gold Coast and North Michigan Avenue areas. Carley has said he plans to name the hotel operator, a five-star operator new to Chicago, in coming weeks.

Carley said today he would have an announcement soon on the project's financing. Carley would only say today that the financing will entail a primary construction loan from four banks and a "large" segment of equity.

– Bloomberg News

www.nwherald.com/MainSect...7106.php>:

Re: Chicago city council gives approval for 2000 ft. condo/h

I have to confess I"m somewhat envious.

I have to confess I'm somewhat dubious.

700 square feet at $1000 U.S. a square foot? There has to be better ways to spend that kind of cash. One-hundred and twenty-four stories, and only 300 condo units? Oh well, good luck.

700 square feet at $1000 U.S. a square foot? There has to be better ways to spend that kind of cash. One-hundred and twenty-four stories, and only 300 condo units?

Plus a Crillon Hotel, which would also be an expensive place to stay for the night. You're right. There are much better ways to spend money. But what would it be like living on the 100th, 110th or 120th floor of a building? The bragging rights might be enough for some wealthy folks to justify the expense.

Hi everyone, I'm broke. But look at that view!

^ ?... Don't you think there are plenty of people around for whom this is pocket change?? Who's to say how they should or shouldn't spend their money???

Good for Chicago, I say! They've got the vision and they've got the balls (and apparantly the money) to aim big and aim high. This city is not about to rest on any laurels. Daley is staking a claim and I love it. Lets face it, it does take a little megalomania to make a good city. London, Paris, NYC or...heck Chicago...were not built on timidity or caution.

^I was joking.

At no time did I ever assume that anyone would listen to me on how to spend their money.

Only time will tell if something like this goes up.

Must be a big spire if it's only 124 levels & 600m.

It is, the tower itself is barely bigger then the Sears Tower.

Haven't been to Chicago yet, but have been thinking about going for a long weekend. I was thumbing through a picture book of Chicago in Indigo yesterday and was amazed at how beautiful the buildings are, those shown at least. The waterfront looks beautiful too - Is that a beach I saw in front of the skyline downtown!?

I'm so jealous. And yes tudararms, that is a beach, infact Chicago has several, all that you can swim in with no storm water run-off. I was there last Canada Day long weekend and had a blast. I think all of city council should be forced to spend a week in that city to see how a downtown should look and feel. We should be proud of our neighbourhoods, something Chicago seemed to have few of that felt safe, but that aside the Downtown of Chicago puts ours to shame. (except the sidewalks)

Back