News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Expanding on JWhites diversity point, I found that Vancouver had large groups of East Asian, South Asian and Persians but largely wasn’t a very diverse city. All of my black friends were from Calgary, Edmonton or Montreal and it had very small minority groups outside of the ones previously mentioned comparatively to other Canadian cities. It also felt a lot more segregated than Calgary, my friend groups tended to co-mingle way less in Vancouver than here or in when I was in Toronto. Not sure why and is anecdotal, but I’d be surprised if others didn’t find the same thing.
That’s exactly the way I would describe it. Much more clique-ish than what I see here in Calgary.

I don’t think in Sweden’s case the numbers of immigrants are the problem but instead a case of not diverse enough immigration policy.

My own observations comparing cities like Toronto or Calgary to a city like Vancouver reaffirms my belief that a diverse immigration policy works better than having the bulk of immigrants being from a select group of countries.

You mean did you noticed the double speak or speaking out of both sides of your mouth?
Can you clarify your comment? Where am I speaking out of both sides of my mouth? I said I prefer the diversity in Calgary and I do.

I went to school I Vancouver and quite liked the city. As a person of Asian background, I was fitting in easily and in general it was a nice place to live. I had considered moving there different times, but have no interest anymore. It has changed over the years and not for the better, but for the worse IMO. While Calgary rises Vancouver is sinking. At least that’s my opinion.

As everyone knows, it’s prohibitively expensive and the difference between the people who have and those who don’t is more obvious than in Calgary.
Young people in Vancouver are focussed on two things. They’re either focussed on fancy digs and fancy cars to keep up with their friends, or you have the other half which are the unionized blue collar/ hippie crowd focussed on fighting and protesting everything and hating anyone with money.

I lived in Van for a few years there and the people are nice but tend to gravitate to cliques more. At least from my experience, it's just a bit colder there if you aren't "in".
That’s a good way to describe it. The people aren’t overtly rude or anything just not very friendly. Even being Chinese Canadian I don’t feel like I fit in with the Asian community there. I’m not rich enough for the Asian community, and I’m not a hippie enough for the white community lol 😂

Last edited:
Can you clarify your comment? Where am I speaking out of both sides of my mouth? I said I prefer the diversity in Calgary and I do.
I was meaning peoples tendancy to speak out of both sides of their mouth adding to the clique feelings out here. It reminds me of when I lived in Anaheim. Calgary had that mid west straight forward.

California's are know for their use of "yeah-naw" and Vancouver reminds me of that.

I was meaning peoples tendancy to speak out of both sides of their mouth adding to the clique feelings out here. It reminds me of when I lived in Anaheim. Calgary had that mid west straight forward.

California's are know for their use of "yeah-naw" and Vancouver reminds me of that.
Oh okay. Sorry, I misunderstood the post. I agree, and have often noticed that myself. Of all the cities around North America I have lived in or have been to Vancouver is unique. At least that’s my impression. I haven’t spent much time in California, but I could see how it might be similar to Vancouver.

That’s true. Even as a Chinese Canadian I don’t fit in

That’s a good way to describe it. The people aren’t overtly rude or anything just not very friendly. Even being Chinese Canadian I don’t feel like I fit in with the Asian community there. I’m not rich enough for the Asian community, and I’m not a hippie enough for the white community lol 😂
You know that not all white people in Van are hippies and not all Chinese people are rich right?

Back