News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Some interesting Calgary employment stats courtesy of Trevor Toombe. Sometimes we look at the unemployment rate, which is the highest among major cities, and wonder why Calgary is growing so much. His Twitter thread explains some of the reasons why.

Unemployment rate. At first glance it doesn't look good.
1680393694751.png

But Calgary also has a high participation rate.
1680393807479.png

Here is the share of each city’s population that is employed in February 2023 (three-month average from StatCan).
@trevortombe
This matters a lot. Consider the following equation u = 1 - e/p where u is unemployment rate, e is employment rate, and p is participation rate. If Calgary had the same participation rate as Toronto (holding emp rate fixed) it would have an unemployment rate of 4.8%, not 6.6%.
1680393908426.png

Calgary’s film and television industry has another win to celebrate.
After a banner year in productions that included marquee projects like HBO’s The Last of Us, the Fraggle Rock reboot and the 17th season of CBC’s Heartland, a trio of standing sets won the Location of the Year Award at the Global Production Awards in Cannes, France.

Whereabouts in Alberta will it be built?
« The company’s Alberta solar farms will be located near the towns and hamlets of Georgetown, Sunnynook, Dolcy, Eastervale and Red Willow. The Sunnynook farm, with a capacity of 332 megawatts, will be the largest; the others will have capacities ranging from 246 to 280 megawatts. »

Sunnynook is In the Special Areas somewhat proximate to the Sheerness power plant. Perhaps due to the strategy of taking into account existing transmission capacity when approving new plants.

Dolcy is near Edgerton near Wainwright. Eastervale is near Provost. Georgetown is in Vulcan County near Carseland. Red Willow is near Stettler.

Last edited:
Not really “economic” news per se, but don’t know where else to put this.

Basically all TD Canada Trust services are offline and have been since at least 3 am. I’m essentially penniless without my pay cheque. Absolutely ridiculous. They should be refunding account fees to everyone for the month. They say they’re only going to reimburse fees incurred due to the outage (fees for bounced bills and whatnot)… not good enough. Couldn’t even get breakfast on my way to work this morning.

#TDCanadaTrust

Not really “economic” news per se, but don’t know where else to put this.

Basically all TD Canada Trust services are offline and have been since at least 3 am. I’m essentially penniless without my pay cheque. Absolutely ridiculous. They should be refunding account fees to everyone for the month. They say they’re only going to reimburse fees incurred due to the outage (fees for bounced bills and whatnot)… not good enough. Couldn’t even get breakfast on my way to work this morning.

#TDCanadaTrust
Yep my coworker texted me this morning at like 6:30 asking if I’d been paid today. Company is RBC and I’m RBC so there were no issues. Wonder when the issues will be resolved

Haha I did the exact same thing, at the exact same time 🥲 still not resolved. Heard a rumour that it might not be til Monday. I will *literally* starve 🤣

I'd love to hear people's opinions and experiences with BILD. Is it worth it for a new, smaller construction management company to join the membership?

Apologies, I am a new member so please let me know if this kind of post isn't allowed.

In my opinion BILD offers great networking events, and is a very effective organization for influence with broader City policies as they are always considered a key stakeholder on things that impact the development industry (like offsite levies, etc.). The one criticism may be that as an organization it is very focused on new suburban greenfield development.

Back