News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

CP Rail gained regulatory approval in the US to take over Kansas City Southern. Whether this is negative or positive for Calgary is hard to say. I've heard people say this will be good for Calgary as CP's head office would grow, and with office vacancy up, they might even move back downtown again. I've also heard an opinion that CP might move some of their jobs down south, to be more in the centre of operations.

I doubt it will make a difference in Calgary, I would expect them to strengthen their US operations though, so if you have shares in CP this could be a boon.
I agree. They probably won't run Kansas City Southern from Calgary. Americans don't take too kindly to having head offices of U.S businesses, based in Canada

"We're seeing record levels of outmigration from Ontario to other provinces, primarily Alberta and Atlantic Canada ... most of them are young adults, between 25 and 35"

CBC News, Ontario's young adults are leaving the province in droves. The soaring cost of living is to blame, March 15 2023
I'm not surprised. Cost of living is very real, and often difficult to people in that age group.

Their issue has nothing to do with a lack of construction, if anything it’s the opposite (though that’s not it either). It’s simply due to artificially inflated values, just like BC. At least to BCs credit, they have the best weather and most beautiful landscapes in the federation, so at least it makes some semblance of sense there. For Ontario it’s just because it is the nexus of Canadian population.

Building more (we’re already building plenty) isn’t going to save us from that fate.

Ontario has been unable to meet demand, and in some cases it is because of lack of construction. Look at what happened to the housing market in places like Niagara during COVID. Demand went up a bit but house prices doubled or more, and there was nothing for sale. They built so little in the last 20 years that one bump in population threw everything out of whack.

Meanwhile the new home construction industry in Calgary seems to be an unstoppable juggernaut. We've been building 15,000 homes a year for a couple decades. In many neighbourhoods prices are about what they were 15 years ago, despite our population being 25% higher.

I sometimes wonder how much the differences in building materials contribute to the differences in cost as well. Observationally, I’d say ON builders utilize higher quality exterior materials. The contribution probably isn’t a primary driver in the price, but I bet it’s not negligible.

Their issue has nothing to do with a lack of construction, if anything it’s the opposite (though that’s not it either). It’s simply due to artificially inflated values, just like BC. At least to BCs credit, they have the best weather and most beautiful landscapes in the federation, so at least it makes some semblance of sense there. For Ontario it’s just because it is the nexus of Canadian population.

Building more (we’re already building plenty) isn’t going to save us from that fate.
Sure it will. Prices rise when supply can't meet demand.

We have supply, just like Ontario does and always has. That’s not what has driven their prices up, nor what is driving ours up.

Back