MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
A new one for Inglewood, going where the Blues Can is. Blues by Battistella. Not a concrete highrise like we typically see from Battistella lately, but a smaller 4 storey residential over retail:

1705524135808.png

1705524175002.png

1705524247941.png

1705524266137.png

Decent looking project but agreed it will be a net loss. Places like Blues Can are part of the character of Inglewood. I'm sure all the quirky shops will one day be replaced by Subways and banks and nail salons in generic podium retail too.

I'm sad about the loss of the Blues can, but I have to live with the fact that it's part of the evolution of inner city neighborhoods. Given the Blues Can is in a Quonset, there's a decent chance it can be relocated to just about any type of building.

I get the sadness of losing an institution like the Blues Can, and the gritty character that goes with it, but at the same time, this is what happens when we push to develop inner city neighborhoods. We'll only be seeing more of this, it is what it is. The surprise to me is that Inglewood has managed to avoid this for so long, while developing at the same time, but we're at a point now, where even more change is coming, especially when the Green Line is finished.
A couple of years ago I visited the Clapham Junction area in London - a place where I once spent 6 months. It was sad to see a lot of its old character gone, but I also enjoyed seeing a lot of the new changes, and what the area has become. seeing young families with children, etc.. which was something missing before.

Back