Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
CouncilAgenda.JPG

Council meeting today, item 14.2.4... Being confidential, not sure what we hear out of this?

The rumors about Tsuu t'ina have to just be a play in the poker game this has become? Minus the money they'd have to spend to get them there, it would be good for the nation in the sense its a anchor tenant for their TAZA development. But that's the only up side I see for them. Easy to get to the area of the development (Sarcee, Stoney, Glenmore), but awful to get in and out of (I count two overpasses onto Glenmore and Stoney). It's fine for what they have planned now but adding cars to carry 18,000 people in and out of there sounds like a nightmare. Also, no way the city helps them out by running more buses out there, why would they?

Finally, I thought the flames backed out because of cost escalations, how does working with the nation change any of that? Honestly, I think its sad they think they can just go to the nation and get a better deal, do they really think the nation and its members are that desperate and are just going to roll over to some rich guys with money?

Seems that an in camera meeting is happening today. What, if any, new information is to be publicly shared, we shall have wait to see.
Dream: Announcement of agreement to begin work with Oakview group after in camera council vote (hoping for no other interest as that could draw things out, I don't think dragging this process out with a RFP will bring anything better back).
Reality: "We have other groups interested than just the flames and will proceed with formal RFP." AKA: See you next year.

I am with the rest of you. If the arena gets built out of the city don’t count on me going to very many events if any.
In the past I’ve always taken the train or walked from work downtown to the events and that’s the way I’d like to keep it.

Who the hell keeps pumping this ridiculous idea of the arena being built on the reserve??
1. It doesn't make any sense location-wise.
2. It doesn't make any sense economically.
3. Infrastructure is already in place, including the land for it to be built downtown.
4. Doing business with a indigenous nation is highly unappealing and unattractive for such a high value franchise.

It's not happening. Chill.

Who the hell keeps pumping this ridiculous idea of the arena being built on the reserve??

4. Doing business with a indigenous nation is highly unappealing and unnatcrative for such a high value franchise.

It's not happening. Chill.

If your business income is situated on a reserve, it is exempt from tax under section 87 of the Indian Act.

We all know Murray hates taxes...

I’ve suggested it before and I think it’s about time the city explores the idea of imposing a toll charge when entering into city limits. Our city is a large geographically well defined city with no cities hugging our local streets, unlike other Canadian cities. If this arena goes through on a reserve, the city should definitely try to look into something like a toll charge, especially considering how our emergency services and road infrastructure would be stressed.

View attachment 384150
Council meeting today, item 14.2.4... Being confidential, not sure what we hear out of this?

The rumors about Tsuu t'ina have to just be a play in the poker game this has become? Minus the money they'd have to spend to get them there, it would be good for the nation in the sense its a anchor tenant for their TAZA development. But that's the only up side I see for them. Easy to get to the area of the development (Sarcee, Stoney, Glenmore), but awful to get in and out of (I count two overpasses onto Glenmore and Stoney). It's fine for what they have planned now but adding cars to carry 18,000 people in and out of there sounds like a nightmare. Also, no way the city helps them out by running more buses out there, why would they?

Finally, I thought the flames backed out because of cost escalations, how does working with the nation change any of that? Honestly, I think its sad they think they can just go to the nation and get a better deal, do they really think the nation and its members are that desperate and are just going to roll over to some rich guys with money?
Totally jazzed for CSEC to build an exurban arena. So cool for there dickhead Eagle Ridge (big CPC/UCP contributors) friends having easy access and parking and for everyone else it can be the drinking and driving capital of the world! Makes sense though, about 200 dodge rams will get a DUI a night #synergy #citybuilding #fuckCSEC

Last edited:
I
A toll to enter the city would be detrimental to our tourism industry. Why pay to go into Calgary if you can just stay in a hotel in Airdrie or Canmore? Especially for travelers going to the mountains
I highly doubt a tourist would want to stay in Airdrie seeing that all the action is in Calgary. Our bedroom cities suck big time. I never book stays far away from a central hub of a city or access to public transit. Plus all the tax collected could be used to help offset property taxes or reinvest in infrastructure. This could make it more attractive live and invest in Calgary rather than a bedroom city. Vancouver is going to implement a congestion tax and they got much stiffer competition around them.

A toll to enter the city would be detrimental to our tourism industry. Why pay to go into Calgary if you can just stay in a hotel in Airdrie or Canmore? Especially for travelers going to the mountains
I think its pretty easy to implement this so it doesn't hurt tourism. Rental cars and even Ubers have what I call "Fleet" plates so if the system uses cameras that captures pictures (I've seen this used in Florida) of plates it's pretty easy to just not charge for vehicles that have those plates. If you're talking about tourism from other Alberta communities, good that's what it's meant to do in my mind. As for charging people from Calgary to just drive home from out of town. You just use where the license plate is registered, registered to a Calgary address, come on down, no charges.
I highly doubt a tourist would want to stay in Airdrie seeing that all the action is in Calgary. Our bedroom cities suck big time. I never book stays far away from a central hub of a city or access to public transit. Plus all the tax collected could be used to help offset property taxes or reinvest in infrastructure. This could make it more attractive live and invest in Calgary rather than a bedroom city. Vancouver is going to implement a congestion tax and they got much stiffer competition around them.
I also agree with gsunnyg, I don't travel to Vancouver and stay in Richmond. A fine place I'm sure but I want to be where I actually travelled to, Vancouver.

I’ve suggested it before and I think it’s about time the city explores the idea of imposing a toll charge when entering into city limits. Our city is a large geographically well defined city with no cities hugging our local streets, unlike other Canadian cities. If this arena goes through on a reserve, the city should definitely try to look into something like a toll charge, especially considering how our emergency services and road infrastructure would be stressed.
The problem is that the roads that would be tolled are primarily roads with provincial jurisdiction, and the province is built on the big cities subsidizing rural and small town residents' lifestyles. (Even if the roads weren't under provincial jurisdiction, the UCP would be thrilled to take away the city's ability to do something else.)

That is the Council narrative. Not sure if CSEC has the same views or priorities.....
I guess the question is, does an arena get built without the flames as a partner of some kind? IMO, yes it does. Now, what does that mean for the future viability of the flames in Calgary? I think no matter what they stay and play in the arena but maybe not with Murray Edwards as owner. But maybe they give him a sweetheart lease and he's happy. Fewer people to pay to run an arena the better for Murray.

Whenever the flames season is done, get ready for a "flames executives looking at relocation" rumours. No way they play that card in season, especially when they're on the run they are.

Back