Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
I mean if the West Village gets remediated that's a positive on it's own. But even if the area didn't need to be remediated the location is great for a new Arena/Stadium combo. There's good vehicle access from Bow Trail/14 Street/Crowchild Trail, it's adjacent to Sunalta Station, there's plenty of space (unlike the cramped Victoria Park location,) the fieldhouse is larger (as mentioned above), and the location is out of the floodway.

I always thought the biggest thing when it came to Calgary NEXT for CSEC was getting away from both the Calgary Stampede (Saddledome) and University of Calgary (McMahon).

The fieldhouse going into Foothills Athletic Park makes a lot of sense but I don't think that actually crushes CSEC's dream to build Calgary NEXT. It sure hurts the city's chances of supporting it, but who says you can't do a new open air stadium rather than a domed fieldhouse. You don't even have to cannibalize the C+E, just do a Lansdowne-type thing with a park space, some retail and a couple restaurants.

Saying all this, I'm sure the west village is being pushed because it's a real estate play by CSEC or as a way to get a better deal in Victoria Park.

Last edited:
I always thought the biggest thing when it came to Calgary NEXT for CSEC was getting away from both the Calgary Stampede (Saddledome) and University of Calgary (McMahon).

The fieldhouse going into Foothills Athletic Park makes a lot of sense but I don't think that actually crushes CSEC's dream to build Calgary NEXT. It sure hurts the city's chances of supporting it, but who says you can't do a new open air stadium rather than a domed fieldhouse. You don't even have to cannibalize the C+E, just do a Lansdowne-type thing with a park space, some retail and a couple restaurants.

Saying all this, I'm sure the west village is being pushed because its a real estate play by CSEC or as a way to get a better deal in Victoria Park.
Nailed it

… and in related news:
Maybe this is a dumb question... But if the University isn't willing to put any money into the Foothills Athletic Park, is there no way to have the city takeover the land?

It wouldn't speed things up in terms of development, but wouldn't the city taking over ownership mean that they would be able to put more than $0 into it (like the university has). It's probably more complicated than that but it just bugs me that the university is always replying to these proposal with, "we have no money".

I'm probably in the minority here, but I always loved the West Village as the location for an arena / fieldhouse. Perfect anchor for that location, IMO. Accessible in all four directions, including the river path.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I always loved the West Village as the location for an arena / fieldhouse. Perfect anchor for that location, IMO. Accessible in all four directions, including the river path.
I liked the Calgary Next proposal as well. A really good catalyst for redevelopment, and a reason to beautify the rivers edge in the area.

Maybe this is a dumb question... But if the University isn't willing to put any money into the Foothills Athletic Park, is there no way to have the city takeover the land?

It wouldn't speed things up in terms of development, but wouldn't the city taking over ownership mean that they would be able to put more than $0 into it (like the university has). It's probably more complicated than that but it just bugs me that the university is always replying to these proposal with, "we have no money".
I believe the Foothills Athletic Park portion of the lands is actually city property.

If CSEC can get CAA ICON excited about Calgary NEXT, they may be on to something.

My design mind goes to all the cool ways you could blend a outdoor stadium and arena together with some retail and restaurants. You could even end up sharing a concourse/team facilities/press box all on one side. The NHL and CFL don't exactly have a lot of crossover in their schedules. Add in a little mini Freemont street canopy on one end that over looks the river and integrates into both buildings. Put both together in a "T", and I think you've got something for people to get excited about. Especially if you make the stadiums playing surface open to the public when its not being used.

That's what I can dream up, now imagine the professionals at CAA ICON sinking their minds into what's possible.

Last edited:
So, what you're saying is built Calgary next, demolish McMahon and build the fieldhouse in its place, on (traded) city land. Cool, cool.
in a world with an extra $800 million bucks or so available for this purpose, 100 times yes. Are there many things I would put a higher priority on an extra $800 million? also yes.

Back