Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 90 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
The one thing I think we're all missing is that these teams are bankrolled by CSEC. Who run the dome, meaning they pay little to no money to play there. Anywhere else they play, means they have to pay a lease. Okotoks supports the Dawgs and Oilers, they could definitely support a WHL team. The unfortunate fact is CSEC has a sports monopoly in Calgary, for better but mostly for worse.
The 2k for the dawgs (outdoors, summer, not really a comparable but) and 1k for the oilers would need to multiply to work. Prince Albert and Moose Jaw would be your closest comparable (40k populations), both avg low/mid 2k's as community owned teams. That's probably a grandfathered model, not sure that's an appealing market for the Hitmen

The one thing I think we're all missing is that these teams are bankrolled by CSEC. Who run the dome, meaning they pay little to no money to play there. Anywhere else they play, means they have to pay a lease. Okotoks supports the Dawgs and Oilers, they could definitely support a WHL team. The unfortunate fact is CSEC has a sports monopoly in Calgary, for better but mostly for worse.
Once the new arena is built, there will be more events that compete with CSEC teams. They'll want to pay the lease if that means they free up the arena for concerts/events that generate much more revenue. It's not very efficient to host a 2k-5k event in an NHL sized rink

Hopefully we get a David Bauer redevelopment as part of the fieldhouse. Something like the UBC Thunderbirds Sports Centre would be great (also has a Father David Bauer rink funny enough). There's a 5k - 7.5k arena, with two practice pads. The proximity to the University, may help in getting additional funding.

CSEC would be foolish not to involve themselves with any arena management plan in the region.There's always an option to back out if the arena deal turns out to be a dud

CSEC would be foolish not to involve themselves with any arena management plan in the region.There's always an option to back out if the arena deal turns out to be a dud
This is turning into a game of telephone. No new arena with any mid-level capacity is being built anytime soon in the region, so this is all a nothing conversation. No demand for it, no money, no teams to play in it. EC, Tsuutina, Winsport...that's it.

Back to our regular scheduled programming. We need a bigger parkade!!!!!! ;)

I mean Flames/Wranglers for Saddledome. Keep them in the same building as they are directly related. Roughnecks only play 9 games so not hard to put into a schedule and always have really big numbers.

Hitmen at WinSport (Teddy Bear Toss/Big Prospect game/playoffs in Saddledome if scheduling allows).

I do wonder how much it will affect the Hitmen that the Wranglers play here now, as they both target more of a young family audience and Wranglers seem more of an attractive ticket and seem very popular. If the parents are Flames fans, Wranglers are still very relevant to all Flames fans as they are the farm team. Hitmen have no impact on the Flames. I think it would be worth considering redeveloping and working with the University to have a 5k arena for Dinos Sports /Hitmen as it could be their chance to have that sort mid sized arena we are missing. Jack Simpson and Dave Bauer are old anyway. If they can build one at the university campus it will be close to the train station, and can always fill up with students in the evening with cheap tickets and Dinos Basketball/Volleyball/Hockey are all very successful and it can help strengthen the athletics side with a newer facility and larger engagement

I mean Flames/Wranglers for Saddledome. Keep them in the same building as they are directly related. Roughnecks only play 9 games so not hard to put into a schedule and always have really big numbers.

Hitmen at WinSport (Teddy Bear Toss/Big Prospect game/playoffs in Saddledome if scheduling allows).

I do wonder how much it will affect the Hitmen that the Wranglers play here now, as they both target more of a young family audience and Wranglers seem more of an attractive ticket and seem very popular. If the parents are Flames fans, Wranglers are still very relevant to all Flames fans as they are the farm team. Hitmen have no impact on the Flames. I think it would be worth considering redeveloping and working with the University to have a 5k arena for Dinos Sports /Hitmen as it could be their chance to have that sort mid sized arena we are missing. Jack Simpson and Dave Bauer are old anyway. If they can build one at the university campus it will be close to the train station, and can always fill up with students in the evening with cheap tickets and Dinos Basketball/Volleyball/Hockey are all very successful and it can help strengthen the athletics side with a newer facility and larger engagement
I dont disagree that the hitmen are now a distant 4th in that totem pole. But a 5k seat arena is probably now a $110M endeavour....and you'd be eating your own having a hitmen game go head to head with a flames/wranglers/roughnecks. Atleast now they never play the same nights lol. Dinos hockey doesnt need anything more than 2k, and the court teams maybe 1k, so the scale/changeover costs between sports probably make it unfeasible

This is turning into a game of telephone. No new arena with any mid-level capacity is being built anytime soon in the region, so this is all a nothing conversation. No demand for it, no money, no teams to play in it. EC, Tsuutina, Winsport...that's it.

Back to our regular scheduled programming. We need a bigger parkade!!!!!! ;)
You're no fun.

You're no fun.
agreed lol! We just seemed to veer real quick to major "what ifs". If CSEC was tight on their commitment to the EC...the thought of them building a second smaller EC is more than a pipe dream. And I dont see the city or anyone around it coming up with $100M to host the hitmen

Last edited:
There are enough dates to comfortable host the Flames, Wranglers, Roughnecks, and Hitmen. Nothing stopping them from doing a Hitmen/Roughnecks double header (afternoon/evening). Even when the new arena is built, how many more concerts and events will we realistically get compared to now. 20? 30? I don't see too many issues with overbookings.

The Hitmen attendance has dropped because the team has sucked for almost a decade. There are no top level prospects on the team and they haven't made a playoff push in years. I miss the old rivalries with Red Deer and Kootenay...

The arena should be close to some renderings, right? This process seems slow considering they want this arena to be done by the end of 2026.

The arena should be close to some renderings, right? This process seems slow considering they want this arena to be done by the end of 2026.
I wouldn't expect anything until Spring imo. While some elements are the same, some major functional differences, especially to the exterior. They have been very careful not to commit to a hard date since the new deal, so would not be surprised if they just push it to stampede 2027, make sure its done right. Rogers Place needed 30 months from groundbreaking, and i don't see any scenario where they move midseason, when they have a functional, albeit dated building to play in.

I wouldn't expect anything until Spring imo. While some elements are the same, some major functional differences, especially to the exterior. They have been very careful not to commit to a hard date since the new deal, so would not be surprised if they just push it to stampede 2027, make sure it’s done right. Rogers Place needed 30 months from groundbreaking, and i don't see any scenario where they move midseason, when they have a functional, albeit dated building to play in.
I think they’ll under promise with the hope to over deliver, but I also think they’ll want to move ASAP to maximize revenue. Other teams have moved mid-season (e.g., Leafs).

The project on the city site now has a timeline stating design reveal and development permit application is targeted for Spring/Summer and construction start Summer/Fall. If the completion date is mid season they'll likely play on the road for the first few months before moving into the new arena like the Islanders did. Only if the completion is expected to be toward the end of the season will they likely stay in the Saddledome for the full season.

Back