Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 90 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
Man, that Timbers stadium in Portland is such a gorgeous urban intervention. Would be a dream to have something like that in Calgary. The West Village (once again) would be such a cool location for a stadium like this (I'm also a huge MLS fan).

Fun tidbit - I've been in meetings in the past with key people in the sports world here in YYC in which MLS was definitely something that was of interest.

The Timbers stadium is one of few things that really stood out for me in a good way about Portland (for the most part I found the city underwhelming).

I'd love to see and MLS team here, although I suspect our ridiculously volatile weather would be another significant challenge that would probably necessitate a dome. Regardless of whether that ever happens, glad that soccer has been a big success here but I would love to see a more intimate, central venue to watch Cavalry games.

$500M for an MLS franchise? Damn! Are they doing that well financially?
Yes. Per Forbes, the average club is worth $658 million USD. They scored a $2.5 billion USD streaming deal with Apple last year.

There is a better chance that Montreal cashes out and moves to CPL than if Canada were to get another club. Not that the former has a high chance at all.

The Timbers stadium is one of few things that really stood out for me in a good way about Portland (for the most part I found the city underwhelming).

I'd love to see and MLS team here, although I suspect our ridiculously volatile weather would be another significant challenge that would probably necessitate a dome. Regardless of whether that ever happens, glad that soccer has been a big success here but I would love to see a more intimate, central venue to watch Cavalry games.

I can't see a central stadium happening unless another ownership group comes in and throws a lot of money at Spruce Meadows. They have a huge advantage in building where they are as they already own the land and have an easier time developing that land by not having to deal with the city. It's an amount of cost savings that would fund the club's operating expenses for decades.

If Cavalry had a central stadium they'd be drawing over 10,000 for games, IMO. There is a buzz around the team that's growing but the stadium location definitely hurts them. But being at Spruce Meadows isn't going to kill them either.

A dome would probably be too expensive, but I think even having a roof overhang, and a fully encircled stadium to mitigate the wind-tunnel effect, would be a huge help.

To help mitigate the cold psychologically, I think it perhaps also wouldn't hurt to take a few cues from the mountain hospitality industry and look to make things feel a bit warmer with uses of architectural wood, and have some outdoor heating stations, etc. If it's going to be cold, make it feel a bit more like going to a lodge, where that outdoor experience is embraced but designed around from the start. Ie, a bit of a "what would Whistler/Banff/Switzerland do" approach.

The Cavs have an eventual plan for a new 12,000 seat stadium at Spruce Meadows. Love that they've been a success (I go to every game), but selfishly I would want that new stadium more central... always thought the Currie Barracks location would be great. Somewhat close to central Calgary, lots of room, accessible right off of Crowchild (and Glenmore Trail), and extremely close to ATCO's headquarters - the company that owns them.

Would love to get a covered roof stadium, but since the demise of CalgaryNEXT, that's definitely a pipe dream.

I can't see a central stadium happening unless another ownership group comes in and throws a lot of money at Spruce Meadows. They have a huge advantage in building where they are as they already own the land and have an easier time developing that land by not having to deal with the city. It's an amount of cost savings that would fund the club's operating expenses for decades.

If Cavalry had a central stadium they'd be drawing over 10,000 for games, IMO. There is a buzz around the team that's growing but the stadium location definitely hurts them. But being at Spruce Meadows isn't going to kill them either.
It's too bad all our wealthy, dynastic local elites - the types of folks that buy and build up local entertainment conglomerates - are all rural or suburban-focused.

Even with CSEC and the Stampede who have had great central, urban access for decades and decades, they never have shown much interest/capability in pulling off something as tastefully urban or integrated as part of the city as the Portland soccer stadium on any project, at any scale. I have a hard time thinking the Southern family with Spruce Meadows would have any interest either. Plus these competing groups always struggle to work together, so what we end up with is 3 half-hearted entertainment/stadium district projects, instead of one reasonably good one.

I completely agree that an inner city stadium done well would multiply the turnout for these types of events.

There is one place that's more central that ATCO (the Southern's) own... The land right next to their new office off Crowchild. I wonder if they have any desire to do something there versus Spruce Meadows? I'd say probably not since the soccer stadium could be reused for the horse jumping.

It's too bad all our wealthy, dynastic local elites - the types of folks that buy and build up local entertainment conglomerates - are all rural or suburban-focused.

Even with CSEC and the Stampede who have had great central, urban access for decades and decades, they never have shown much interest/capability in pulling off something as tastefully urban or integrated as part of the city as the Portland soccer stadium on any project, at any scale. I have a hard time thinking the Southern family with Spruce Meadows would have any interest either. Plus these competing groups always struggle to work together, so what we end up with is 3 half-hearted entertainment/stadium district projects, instead of one reasonably good one.

I completely agree that an inner city stadium done well would multiply the turnout for these types of events.
It boggles my mind how people shit on the Stampede lol. Comparing it to single soccer stadium built in 1926, how exactly do you make a rodeo/racetrack/fair/convention/arena ground "tastefully urban"? There is literally no single space in Western Canada (arguably Canada) that has done more for it's city from a visitor/economic/cultural/sport perspective. It's a blessing that thing is near downtown.

No city has ONE district for all their arena/stadium/racetrack/convention facilities, if they do its set up much like stampede. Why dont we atleast let our city's first attempt at an actual entertainment district be semi-complete before we shit all over it and compare to other spaces that exist in rumor only lol.

Last edited:
It boggles my mind how people shit on the Stampede lol. Comparing it to single soccer stadium built in 1926, how exactly do you make a rodeo/racetrack/fair/convention/arena ground "tastefully urban"? There is literally no single space in Western Canada (arguably Canada) that has done more for it's city from a visitor/economic/cultural/sport perspective. It's a blessing that thing is near downtown.
Only because that's what they've said they would do. Granted they haven't really been given the funding, but the idea in 2008 was to make Stampede Park more urban. I think we're about to turn the corner (BMO, Events Centre, Stampede Trail, 17th, hotel, and maybe more) but up until this point the vision has only added parking lots to Victoria Park.

Giving them a hard time for taking 16 years to get the idea off the ground is well warranted. Giving them a pass because of their legacy just wouldn't be holding them to the standard they should be held to, which granted is pretty high.

Only because that's what they've said they would do. Granted they haven't really been given the funding, but the idea in 2008 was to make Stampede Park more urban. I think we're about to turn the corner (BMO, Events Centre, Stampede Trail, 17th, hotel, and maybe more) but up until this point the vision has only added parking lots to Victoria Park.

Giving them a hard time for taking 16 years to get the idea off the ground is well warranted. Giving them a pass because of their legacy just wouldn't be holding them to the standard they should be held to, which granted is pretty high.
What happened in 2008 and 2015? To ignore those economic factors... and then say its because of Stampede's "interest and capability". Until BMO was expanded, 17th ave extended, and event centre built AND/OR saddledome demolished...no development was going to occur. Those were the catalysts, but involve way more than the Stampede. It's now happening or happened, which means NOW we should expect progress over 5-7 years.

In this city, the best stadium is the one that actually gets built, which is an increasingly tough ask. To my knowledge, there hasn't been one built with private funds since McMahon was built 65 years ago.

Back