Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 94 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 26.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 7.0%

• Total voters

😬😬😬😬😬

At 0:59 in the video:

"As much as some are hoping an iconic Saddledome design for [the new] arena, don't hold your breath. It's all about functionality; it's all about being one of the better arena situations inside. The outside may not be all that flashy, but I don't think that's the important part."

😬😬😬😬😬

"As much as some are hoping an iconic Saddledome design for [the new] arena, don't hold your breath. It's all about functionality; it's all about being one of the better arena situations inside. The outside may not be all that flashy, but I don't think that's the important part.
This quote has me excited for a normal box with a normal roof, but I’ve been burned on every publicly-funded facility design for decades.

What’s the odds we see a pointless swoopy roof or architectural line?

Just a boring 2013-era Apple Store box design would be a reasonable outcome.

😬😬😬😬😬

"As much as some are hoping an iconic Saddledome design for [the new] arena, don't hold your breath. It's all about functionality; it's all about being one of the better arena situations inside. The outside may not be all that flashy, but I don't think that's the important part."
To be fair, that sounds like it's just Eric Francis' perspective. Has he even seen the renders?

1721312976917.png

Looks like the scope has creeped, interesting to see 15th and 25th Avenues mentioned in the realm improvements. I assume the portion of 15th Avenue will be the one adjacent to the mixed use section. Have they convinced the Stampede to consolidate their offices and this has opened the door to a public realm improvement adjacent to the Erlton Stampede station?
1721313178346.png

Also... throw some finishings on this elevation and i assume that's the design:
1721313300648.png

That sounds like at least one win. I’m hopeful with time all those involved realized the last round wasn’t their best effort and came back stronger this time.
The land size, the insistence on a high seat count, and attempts to keep scope while running up against constraints led to the compromise. I think last time was a best effort, just needed someone in the room asking why results were so mid given the effort, and fixing that.

Back