Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
Little update, from what I've heardddddddd... the design is still being worked on and is being nit-picked by all parties involved here, but the goods news is that it's only small things that are still trying to be settled. Since the parties cannot meet in person due to Covid concerns its extremely difficult to settle on small details when not in person, however a good portion of it has been settled on. Zoom calls might work for school or meetings, but they aren't great when you're trying to design a entire event centre. The august 2021 start to construction is still feasible but i'm extremely doubtful that it will begin on time, im expecting an announcement regarding a delay to ground breaking soon. My current timeline (as far as I've heard) is as follows...

Late April (possibly Late March) 2021 design announcement
November- December 2021 Ground Breaking
still opening for the 2024-25 NHL season

however this seemingly changes every damn time I hear any news about it but I'll keep y'all posted. Things have been slow in regards to news lately, CSEC seems to be focusing energy on the NHL season and the possible upcoming NLL and CFL bubbles and seasons.

Capacity seems to confirmed for ~19,100

I haven't heard of a planned opening date yet so it very well could be, things are changing on the daily at this point. The only info I've been given is that they are shooting for the 24-25 season.

Little update, from what I've heardddddddd... the design is still being worked on and is being nit-picked by all parties involved here, but the goods news is that it's only small things that are still trying to be settled. Since the parties cannot meet in person due to Covid concerns its extremely difficult to settle on small details when not in person, however a good portion of it has been settled on. Zoom calls might work for school or meetings, but they aren't great when you're trying to design a entire event centre. The august 2021 start to construction is still feasible but i'm extremely doubtful that it will begin on time, im expecting an announcement regarding a delay to ground breaking soon. My current timeline (as far as I've heard) is as follows...

however this seemingly changes every damn time I hear any news about it but I'll keep y'all posted. Things have been slow in regards to news lately, CSEC seems to be focusing energy on the NHL season and the possible upcoming NLL and CFL bubbles and seasons.

Thanks for the update. April's not far off, I'm really anxious to see the design.

19K is a good solid number. It doesn't need to be more than that, but less than 18K is too small IMO.

I thought 18 000 was the number that made sense, after that seats cost too much to build relative to the revenue they generate. Any word on the number of boxes? IIRC that's pretty much the #1 reason CSEC wanted a new arena.

I thought 18 000 was the number that made sense, after that seats cost too much to build relative to the revenue they generate. Any word on the number of boxes? IIRC that's pretty much the #1 reason CSEC wanted a new arena.
That is a big reason for the new arena, the main issue with the Saddledome was that the ceiling is beginning to rust from the inside out, that's why they are constantly repainting the roof of it white, the have to seal it so the rebar doesn't rot away the concrete when it rains.

There is likely going to be a different variety of premium seating, i'm expecting somewhere around 75-80 luxury boxes (ya'know the ones that are like 6K to rent per game) wrapped around the arena between the upper and lower levels, along with different elements of premium seating and less expensive boxes as well. I haven't heard what exactly these are yet but i'm assuming there will be some kind of upper level suits bit i'm not sure how many, a strictly club level, and possibly a table serve lounge/restaurant as well. It's difficult to give definitive answers regarding specific numbers because the design is still subject to change and it changes often and I don't want to give any on the nose numbers until I'm certain of them.

trying to manage my expectations, fear the letdown
Let's close our eyes and toss a dart at the prediction board:

I bet it'll be big, curvy and also have a triangle elements/random points to it much like all Calgary contemporary institutions, LRT stations and bus stops. I also expect to be upset by random flowing variable-width sidewalks/plazas rather that straight and efficient lines. I expect I will begrudgingly give it a soft 8/10 when we see the rendering and revise it down to a 7/10 when it is built.

Back