Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
CSEC would probably be happy to pay rent in a new building.
All the dollar amounts would come back around the central fact: the arena requires a subsidy. How the city can minimize the subsidy is the name of the game.

If the arena did not require a subsidy, we would have groups just building arenas as speculative ventures instead of every arena being complicated public private partnerships of varying degrees.

All the dollar amounts would come back around the central fact: the arena requires a subsidy. How the city can minimize the subsidy is the name of the game.

If the arena did not require a subsidy, we would have groups just building arenas as speculative ventures instead of every arena being complicated public private partnerships of varying degrees.
If arenas require subsidies, then fine. I’m okay with that, but then we also shouldn’t be held hostage during negotiations or presented with such vulgar looking designs.

Since they have started negotiations again with third party investors, would the design still be the same or will they try to change it considering the negative design feedback they received from the citizens. Because honestly, we deserve better than this in terms of design. The library and the bmo centre expansion are beautiful examples of what they are capable of.

If it were me and there was a willing third party, that's what I would do, purely out of spite. Chop out the parkade at the back, shift the rink to the south east and create a better public realm interface along 12th Ave and 5th Street. Calgarians gets a better building, the Flames lose out on their oh so precious to them parkade and are stuck playing in an arena they lost design input in due to their power move over Christmas because there is no way the NHL lets the Flames move cities if they get a brand new arena that is just missing some design elements focused on parking and profit that the owners wanted. I'm still curious if the Stampede's finances would allow them to come aboard as the third party to fund a joint project with the City of Calgary and CMLC.

It will have to be either one of the major global sports facility developer/managers, or another significant property developer/fund that sees and gains benefit from adjacent development.

There are two things in the motion:
  • a third party to assess future partnership opportunities with CSEC. and
  • a potential 'other party'
The third party imo would be CMLC or Stampede, or potentially if those two said no, consultants.

The other parties, who knows. Madison Square Garden Sports or Madison Square Garden Entertainment seems like obvious groups to reach out to. As would Anschutz Entertainment Group. But I'd bet both would dismiss the outreach out of hand.

Here is the motion:
1642297084267.png

CSEC would probably be happy to pay rent in a new building.
Would they? I think CSEC wants all the perks of owning a building, with none of the responsiblities of actually owninig it.

Look at Edmonton's current Forbes valuation, and then look at Calgary's. Ownership licking their chops at a similar situation with a new arena under their umbrella.

Would they? I think CSEC wants all the perks of owning a building, with none of the responsiblities of actually owninig it.

Look at Edmonton's current Forbes valuation, and then look at Calgary's. Ownership licking their chops at a similar situation with a new arena under their umbrella.

Without spending a cent upfront, and not even that, it may come to be their only option.

They wouldn't be responsible for maintenance or upgrades, and can spread their costs out over the long term. And like haltcatchfire said above, if they don't want to be part of the construction, then this may be their only option anyway.

Back