Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Okay

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Not Great

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
I live in Marda Loop and think there is very little that is worth saving in the neighborhood and was really excited about this project. Now, I’m not so sure I’m going to like the finished product. It doesn’t feel like the “Mayor’s Award for Architecture and Design” building the neighborhood was sold on. I love the ground floor street activation the building will bring, but I don’t think the exterior material is to my taste.
I agree about the award. In general I despise how architects lavish each other with awards for buildings that haven't actually been constructed yet. I get that most of the architect's job is the design and shouldn't take all the blame for poor execution. Nonetheless, it's a little like scientists handing out awards for the best research proposals and then not following up to see if the research was actually conducted or what the findings were.

There are a number of very interesting articles that discuss building glare and reflection in urban settings, and I believe that this design could probably have benefitted from such a study. Some of the articles I read while engaging in the RNDSQR Inglewood project discussion/debacle. If there is one common denominator there, it would have to be the potential problematic reflections that some believe is just a nuisance. It can actually be pretty bad. I believe that this is a design issue, and should have been studied if it wasn't. Taking in orientation, lower sun angles in the winter, I'll wager that this building will have an adverse effect on context, as well as ambient comfort. I think the Inglewood project would have created a similar issue.

There are a number of very interesting articles that discuss building glare and reflection in urban settings, and I believe that this design could probably have benefitted from such a study. Some of the articles I read while engaging in the RNDSQR Inglewood project discussion/debacle. If there is one common denominator there, it would have to be the potential problematic reflections that some believe is just a nuisance. It can actually be pretty bad. I believe that this is a design issue, and should have been studied if it wasn't. Taking in orientation, lower sun angles in the winter, I'll wager that this building will have an adverse effect on context, as well as ambient comfort. I think the Inglewood project would have created a similar issue.

If your car doesn't combust it'll be the warmest spot in town to pump gas.

If your car doesn't combust it'll be the warmest spot in town to pump gas.

Damn right.

coming to marda loop soon.jpg

If this building has public art, a Brewer's Apprentice AND creates a deathray it is a 10/10 from me.
Exactly ! Now do this death ray thing, but make it be able to change it's intensity from January to July and point it at a patio in front so the temperature is always 25 degrees during daylight year round. Easy!

lots of north bound rear enders on crowchild in the afternoons!

just a thought, if this is so cool how come theres really none of it used in this context?

also, if it is cool, its probably cool in a more steampunk location than marda loop no?

I went past there today, and the tarp was still up.....it's gotta come down one of these days.

Back