Last edited:
I hate to be a downer but it's easy for a developer to proclaim that they are planning to go ahead with a project and throw out some dates. I'm not saying it won't happen,. and I would love to see this get built, but I'm skeptical. I want to see the Windsor get completed first. ASI can still pull this off, but they have so many projects on the go. They need to pare down and focus on the ones they've started.

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/829-17-ave-sw-calgary-royal-park-hotel
Well looks like we got some good news. ASI wants to move forward with the project soon. They're aiming for a 2021 completion date so I would assume they'd begin sometime later this year or very early next year. Hopefully this one gets finished from start to end.

I'm talking directly on 17th, right in the action, which is more convenient for tourists.

I stayed at the Varscona Hotel on Whyte Ave when I went up to Edmonton last summer and having that unimpeded access to a bunch of great bars and restaurants as a total newcomer to the city was awesome. Took all the work out of navigating and searching for a good place to eat/drink. I think this would be great for 17th.

This would be a fantastic addition. Just wish it wasn't Arlington at the helm.

If the franchise isn't chosen, this can be a serious vetting process that can take 12 months +. Boutique brand makes sense, I really like Kimpton as well. However, all the big brands have boutique labels now and allow for flexibility in design and have larger loyalty programs, which helps from an occupancy point of view.

Yep. Everything about this is great, except that ASI is behind it, which means it probably won't get done.
This would be a fantastic addition. Just wish it wasn't Arlington at the helm.

If the franchise isn't chosen, this can be a serious vetting process that can take 12 months +. Boutique brand makes sense, I really like Kimpton as well. However, all the big brands have boutique labels now and allow for flexibility in design and have larger loyalty programs, which helps from an occupancy point of view.

They did the Windsor and their own corporate HQ at the same time, so it's possible. I think the 5th was the only one at the time, but I could be wrong.

Back