Interesting. I'm curious how fire ratings are achieved in this.
CLT Floor Panels have about a 2-hour rating, so long as they meet certain requirements (such as rules for the openings for conduit). In almost all cases, this will well exceed the fire rating of a sprinklered building of that size anyway.

In general, mass timber performs significantly better under fire than steel, and sometimes even concrete. It's counterintuitive, but as temperature increases steel loses strength - whereas in mass timber, once the protective char layer is achieved, the elements maintain strength much much longer.

The building code in Canada is moving towards incorporating this research as a more "performance-based" approach to fire, replacing the prescriptive approach of old. Expect to see much more exposed mass timber in the future.

91813159-C198-4D39-9658-7D750299DAF7.jpeg
9C79D9F4-AA18-4E38-9504-F6AF7E3862E0.jpeg
999F0978-F05D-4A18-87B7-B99E4E461A3C.jpeg

Great picture - triggered a really dumb construction 101 question for me - for wood frame houses and apartments, does it ever matter that the wood frame is just out in the rain and snow until the building envelop is completed?

Water is obviously bad for wood, but I am assuming it's really only an issue when the wood can't dry out reasonably quickly like behind a finished wall?

Great picture - triggered a really dumb construction 101 question for me - for wood frame houses and apartments, does it ever matter that the wood frame is just out in the rain and snow until the building envelop is completed?

Water is obviously bad for wood, but I am assuming it's really only an issue when the wood can't dry out reasonably quickly like behind a finished wall?
I don’t think they have to leave it too long to dry, I’ve seen houses that are framed and sitting up in the rain, and a few days later they’re covering the exterior.

It's really interesting to watch this and Riverpark come up at the same time. They are similar in a lot of ways. Other than increased spans, I don't understand the motivation behind going with steel. It's more expensive and doesn't seem to be any faster than traditional wood frame construction.

Back