Oh wow, so the Backlot is gone too. This is a travesty.

Are we sure it's not just being renovated?

whats this.PNG

Oh that’s right I remember that rendering. Then why is it within the foot print in those site plans posted yesterday? 🤔

That would be great, I mean as long as it’s still a semi affordable space. That would basically mean three commercial spaces as part of the development. I can live with that.

Regardless, losing the Backlot will be a huge loss to the 2slgbtqia+ community in the city. It’s really the only place that people over 180 lbs can go and not feel like shit for not being pumped full of steroids or diet pills. Plus the various subculture/counterculture events held there. The thought of Twisted being the only option makes me physically nauseous.

I don't think we've seen these renders here yet….

gallery-at-first-and-tenth-rendering-12-1030x579.jpeg

gallery-at-first-and-tenth-rendering-06-773x1030.jpeg

gallery-at-first-and-tenth-rendering-07-1030x507.jpeg

gallery-at-first-and-tenth-rendering-09-1030x686.jpeg

gallery-at-first-and-tenth-rendering-03-1030x546.jpeg

gallery-at-first-and-tenth-rendering-10-1030x686.jpeg

It just struck me why this proposal's segmented design looked so familiar - opposite corner of 10 Ave & 1 Street SW. Once you see it you can't unsee it :)

1672681049104.png
1672681104986.png

Of course, that's not to say these buildings are comparable in practice - a run-down 1970s above-grade concrete parking podium is hardly a good urban form compared to a shiny, modern glass residential podium closer to grade - but it's kind of weird on their overall shape is pretty similar and there is such a distinct separation between the segments, and the two buildings will directly across from each other.

The architect much have subconsciously been influenced by the surrounding context :)

I think the glow and lighting in all of the renders is doing some pretty heavy lifting to make this project appear fantastic. While I don't mind the arched podium aesthetic, I think the base of the building is missing the fine grain stickiness and human scale details that would actually make it an inviting patio/spill out environment. This image represents it well -- the lack of those inviting details that you'd see from any of the successful restaurant patio spaces or retail on 17th Avenue or 1st street. I don't see those bistro tables playing out or working well in reality.

The expansive glass is nice...and could be engaging, but it just feels corporate and sterile. The density boost is great, but I bemoan the loss of the existing businesses and character of the original building. It would be nice if the podium space was further divided to allow for more CRUs and small shops in the new building.

Screen Shot.png

Last edited:
Agreed. 18” along side the building wall on a sidewalk isn’t going to be a successful restaurant patio. A mini round metal folding table is fine for a cafe. The building doesn’t have good orientation for a restaurant patio anyway so smaller scale units, even for food service that doesn’t rely on sit down patronage makes more sense.

Such a common rendering add to add life to the design but isn’t even part of the planning. To be fair you don’t typecast the space as a restaurant officially and build in patio space to the buildable area when it could get leased by a furniture store.

Back