Interesting nod to the previous design I noticed in the drawings, the bump out/window/thing appears to be in the same general proportion to the metal accent pieces of the original:
Screenshot 2022-02-10 134822.jpg
1644518963187.png

If the facade actually has small circular windows in some of the wave holes that will be really cool. Would look sweet at night and give a little more transparency to the building which seems a little heavy still.

I really liked the design in the video so i'm disappointed it appears to have been valued engineered. Either way i'm excited about this project going ahead.

Great news and obviously when you donate that kind of money you get to put your name on the building but the JR Shaw Centre for Arts and Culture sounds more like a school and less like somewhere you would take your family or go as a tourist. I know it's just a name but I've been in plenty of cities where an odd name has left me skipping an attraction only to learn later that had I dug deeper the attraction would have been something I was interested in.

Great news and obviously when you donate that kind of money you get to put your name on the building but the JR Shaw Centre for Arts and Culture sounds more like a school and less like somewhere you would take your family or go as a tourist. I know it's just a name but I've been in plenty of cities where an odd name has left me skipping an attraction only to learn later that had I dug deeper the attraction would have been something I was interested in.
It's just the name of the building itself. The Glenbow is keeping its name. Think of it like how the National Music Centre is in Studio Bell.

It's a wonderful donation, but I repeat my objection that it's infuriating that the City is spending four times as much money on the Glenbow just with the upcoming renovations; if anything the building should be named the 'Citizens of Calgary Museum Building' with the 'JR Shaw Atrium' or something. When government spending is treated as invisible but corporate donations are given headline treatment, it's no wonder that people don't feel they are getting value for their tax dollar.

Back