Looks slightly inspired by The Broad in LA by Diller Scofidio + Renfro

Z4l4OSDiH7TpcuKS4TSzHKAk-6000x4000.jpg

If it turns out like that I will be stoked….but recent projects being value engineered to death…I wouldn’t hold out much hope.
Regardless of how it turns out, we aren't lacking in quality cool buildings with fancy exterior panels.

For a museum like this it's all about the programming, integration with the public space, and the desire of those managing the institution to truly integrate a place like the Glenbow into the cultural and social landscape of the city.

I haven't heard much yet about what they are planning to change about the Glenbow's exhibits and programming philosophy, but I hope this renovation is rightfully considered a major opportunity to reimagine all these things and have a museum far more valuable than what was previous. The previous museum was largely invisible in the city's cultural landscape, and I don't mean just physically with it's 1970s boxy, solid exterior.

A new design isn't an end in itself. As beautiful as it is, the last thing downtown Calgary needs is another National Music Centre.

Agree. The NMC, while architecturally stunning, seems to have been a flop in terms of programming and being a draw. I never hear anyone talking about it, attending events, or even going to it. What do they even do in there? Even the King Eddy seems to be a bust. I thought it would be a bigger draw than what it is. Maybe they need to completely overhaul their philosophy and vision and reimagine what the NMC is supposed to be. They need a vision for the place and then have to get their message out to the public.

Agree. The NMC, while architecturally stunning, seems to have been a flop in terms of programming and being a draw. I never hear anyone talking about it, attending events, or even going to it. What do they even do in there? Even the King Eddy seems to be a bust. I thought it would be a bigger draw than what it is. Maybe they need to completely overhaul their philosophy and vision and reimagine what the NMC is supposed to be. They need a vision for the place and then have to get their message out to the public.
I think it'll be a success at some point in the future, just a matter of getting the right fit. They moved a small museum into a large structure, and more or less starting as lot of the programming for the music centre from scratch. The museum portion will be okay, as they can build on it over time, and the music centre portion will continue to evolve.

That looks awesome. Makes me even more excited for this one now knowing we’ll be getting a true quality exterior.

Back