Best direction for the Green line at this point?

• Go ahead with the current option of Eau Claire to Lynbrook and phase in extensions.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Re-design the whole system

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Cancel it altogether

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
In Q2 of 2017, they thought they were at a Class "D" estimate. They had top of rail and alignment for the entire project. Council started fooling around with the alignment immediately, a recommendation for further investigation and the project team didn't push back! On top of it all, their procurement strategy was leisurely at best. With the benefit of hindsight the signs of an out of control project were there even then.

1723496651806.png

Well put me down for a rethink vote. Three fairly major problems with the current vision come to mind.

1. The surface on center st choice was the biggest fault. A crosstown line of this magnitude should have been designed to at least be ALRT capable, even if not automated right away.
2. Without a forced unneeded streetcar type portion, there's no need for low floor. That doesn't mean every station has to be a huge expensive crowfoot style monster, I suspect a Sunnyside scale station would work fine in many cases.
3. I also suspect commuting patterns weren't reexamined after covid to see what leg was most needed. Even before, iirc the north leg had more expected users, but the maintenance yard 'needed' the SE leg to be done first or simultaneously. Lack of creative thinking there.

It's clear that Calgary isn't equipped to do any major tunnel work, even the planning and alignment seems to be a stretch.. I think it would be worth putting out an international RFI for Both a green line and red line tunnel megaproject.

A savvy provincial gov might even be able to broker an energy for construction deal with an Asian partner with a lot of metro construction experience...

Hoping to get a look at what Japan has been building in Saigon soon, maybe council should take a fact/pho finding trip!

Back