Best direction for the Green line at this point?

• Go ahead with the current option of Eau Claire to Lynbrook and phase in extensions.

Votes: 41 61.2%
  • Re-design the whole system

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Cancel it altogether

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
I also found this poster’s enthusiasm for AECOM unusual. No more posts now that they’ve been called out?

On the weekend I noticed AECON signs on the Deerfoot upgrade at Anderson. It made me wonder if there’s not some kind of backroom dealing going on where the province has already engaged that firm and dangled Greenline funding in their negotiation or something. Just feels off somehow…
AECON is Canadian construction firm, whereas AECOM is from the states and is consulting firm.

I have seen over and over mention of a Calgary Grand Station. Is there actually any information on what the plan is here? Or is it all theoretical?

Is there a location? Where?
Has land been bought/acquired/set aside?
Don't see any real mention in the Green Line documents - so assuming this is a Provincial plan and something that already have the land for?

If it is all theoretical, how is there ever any way to tie the Green Line into something that there isn't even any form of plan for?

The details are still conceptual, but I think it has been a plan for quite some time (at a high level at least) to have a high speed rail station there. The Province acquired land from CP rail years ago, which resulted in a lawsuit from Remington Develompent I think to CP rail:

Has land been bought/acquired/set aside?
Yes. Edit:But maybe now it is a heavy interest instead of outright ownership?| in the 2000s when Ed Stelmach was transportation minister iirc. But buying Aspen's Palliser square and selling the land they've owned as a contingency is smarter. Shall see!

Last edited:
Yes. in the 2000s when Ed Stelmach was transportation minister iirc. But buying Aspen's Palliser square and selling the land they've owned as a contingency is smarter. Shall see!
I just don't know if there's room there... At least east of 4th Street SE you have room on either side of the tracks for it. Saying that I don't know what the province versus Remington own.

I just don't know if there's room there... At least east of 4th Street SE you have room on either side of the tracks for it. Saying that I don't know what the province versus Remington own.
If someone is willing to pay, and no assurance of the document being more legible, here is the easement and right of way plan filled by the province for the block in October of last year I believe to carve out a bit of the now consolidated Lot for the 6th St SE underpass (there are a lot of concurrent filings, I think to figure out closing 5th St SE for the arena project):
1727971910737.png

Lot 42 was previously not consolidated. Whether I last looked at this 5 years ago or 10 years ago though, I can't recall. At the time, you could clearly see the lots the province had bought previously, how they fanned out towards 4th St SE in a manner akin to platforms and tracks leading to them.

This document shows the owner as Remington as of March 2021. The law suit could have ended with ownership changing but interests still existing.
1727972571580.png

I'm curious what the design would even look like. For the foreseeable future it seems trains would only be running to the north, so on the northern most track when entering downtown...wouldn't the station make sense between the tracks and 9th Ave? Otherwise it needs to cross all 4 tracks, meaning they have to be empty?

How big does it even need to be? Does it need more than one platform for the next...50 years?

so on the northern most track when entering downtown
A part of the ongoing airport access study is about planning for something akin to a basket weave in Inglewood, which is where lowest minimum cost for airport access only (likely one track) would potentially lock in constrained capacity which would squeeze any other future service.

Trying to understand how a basket-weave for rail in Inglewood would even work.

This is what the project area for the Airport Rail Connector study looks like.

Will be interesting to see what it comes up with.

One way or the other, gonna be some big viaducts and elevated sections.

1000028697.png

A part of the ongoing airport access study is about planning for something akin to a basket weave in Inglewood, which is where lowest minimum cost for airport access only (likely one track) would potentially lock in constrained capacity which would squeeze any other future service.
Meaning it switches across the 4-5 tracks in that span and no other trains can really be using that space at that time? Or grade separation?

I see the single track constraint across the Bow (and then Fox Hollow to Beddington where it wouldn't be very difficult to twin), and then from 14th Street west (plenty of spots to at least add sidings). Negotiating the north constraint seems fairly simple, but doesn't a station to south of the tracks make things way more complicated? Constraining it to the point where a 'grand central station' is completely unnecessary?

Last edited:
Trying to understand how a basket-weave for rail in Inglewood would even work.

This is what the project area for the Airport Rail Connector study looks like.

Will be interesting to see what it comes up with.

One way or the other, gonna be some big viaducts and elevated sections.

View attachment 601232
Just connect the blue line to the airport via 60 St > Airport Trail > Barlow Trail. It doesn't have to be this hard.

You can just imagine the area north of the track and south of 9th ave being a parking lot/lobby. South of the tracks is where you would transfer from the green line (kept it on topic), transfer between other trains etc. I cannot make sense of those images so maybe they indicate otherwise.

Just connect the blue line to the airport via 60 St > Airport Trail > Barlow Trail. It doesn't have to be this hard.
Unfortunately that isn't the greatest idea for transit north of Airport Trail, or at the airport as drumroll, the NE line is frequency constrained due to the Red Line interline downtown.

Back