I assume what they meant was $8B for 16th Avenue to Shepard with the available funding now only enough to go from Eau Claire to Ogden.

The 2015 report mentioned that they looked at a few other sites in the SE, with a focus on CP lands in Ogden. It was probably rejected at the time because it was much more expensive and had less LRV storage capacity than Shepard.
View attachment 581802

What's the deal with the huge variance in estimated capital cost? And what's the relevance of distance to Douglas Glen? Was that just considered the minimum necessary terminus or something?

What's the deal with the huge variance in estimated capital cost? And what's the relevance of distance to Douglas Glen? Was that just considered the minimum necessary terminus or something?
Just random factoids to make a rumour seem plausible.

Shall see!

One thing to note I don't see anyone talking about. The federal government just announced there will be an extra 3 Billion per year available from 2026-2036 that cities/provinces can apply for. This could easily help with future green line extensions if we start building phase 1 now.
When Trudope made the announcement in Toronto aka “The Only Canada” aka “The Centre of the Universe” it seemed he made a “nudge nudge wink wink” to Mayor Chow for this money to be reserved for her own city’s wishlist so I doubt we will see any of that money since we don’t live in “Trudope’s Canada”.

The premier's comment to rethink the downtown tunnel stations is not helpful. We're building a Green Line for a region that will be approaching 3 million people before long. We need grade separated rail for a city that big. We're quickly falling into a rail deficit meanwhile Edmonton is quickly catching up and going through a building boom.

It's a word salad but reading between the lines, I see it as them saying they have recommended construction proceed with a scaled down version that will fit in the existing budget and that the scaled down version will still meet their mandate which they view as "a mandate from City Council to advance Phase 1 of the Green Line LRT Project, connecting the southeast to downtown and into the existing Red/Blue Lines". So doubtful we are getting Eau Claire to Shepard as has been proposed. What we get instead is anyone's guess until next week but it sounds like we are getting something built which to be honest, is a win. Once construction starts for real, more funding becomes a municipal and provincial election issue and I think Calgarians will reward politicians wanting to throw more money at Green Line which will help keep construction rolling beyond whatever gets approved next week.

Here's how I read it...

Green Line Board made recommendations to Executive Committee of Council on project design, delivery strategy, and capital funding. My guesses on those recommendations:

Project design - Something BIG is changing (fewer stations, smaller tunnel, single track to Shepard), I don't see them not going to Shepard but maybe they only build out the track and not the stations?
Delivery strategy - Maybe they've cut it up more, I mean by the time you'd be building out the stations to Shepard there's going to be another opportunity for funding so I could see them moving to additional phasing?
Capital funding - Feds and Province aren't giving more money now but can the city find more money to tie them over to the next funding opportunities?

The updates said the recommendations were based on value engineering, design optimization, and contractor negotiations. :
Value engineering - These should be barebones stations, if they can rewrite a bylaw for noise for the Event Centre, maybe rewrite your public art bylaw haha.
Design optimization - Going with the most optimum design is a no brainer. Nothing fancy on this line.
Contractor negotiations - I'm sure there was some real talk in these negotiations, these projects have become fairly risky for contractors.

Back