8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
A new, and kind of neat / innovative design, building proposed for a narrow laneless lot in the Beltline. Address is 334 14 Ave SW.
It looks to have some sort of vending machine style stacked garage in the back for the parking. Maybe @MoDA can dish a few details?

1721316930316.png

1721316957406.png

1721316974291.png

1721316991940.png

1721317008218.png

I really like it. Further proof that the 6 storey stuff can still look great - it has a sleek modern look and bonus points for not having brown or beige stucco. Also a creative approach to parking that ought to keep costs down and speed up construction vs underground parking.

I hope we see more creative stuff like this on some of our smaller/narrower lots in inner city areas.

I love it, and wish we had millions more of these around Calgary. A collection of small simple niche buildings are always nicer than one large podium taking up the whole block. Not only does it give diversity, but I find the smaller front profile allows developers to use higher quality, more interesting materials.

I never expected a mesh covered building to pop up. Instant comparable to Flyover Block. The mesh shutters is an interesting solution to accessibility and impeded views from covering a building in mesh while creating new ones like what happens if left open in high winds.

The housing concept is a novel approach. Perhaps it may have been best to stick to that then also introduce a novel cladding idea. Save that for phase 2 or 3

Happy to add some commentary to this one! This building will feature 20 1-bedroom units (4 per floor) over a main floor that features an amenity space and co-working areas. The mid-block, lane-less site is too small for below grade parking, so 17 stalls will be provided in an automated car shuffler that will stack cars 4-high. The perforated metal will act as cladding, screening, and passive solar shading and will be operable at balconies and windows, giving occupants the option to select between unencumbered vs. mediated views, open air vs. partial shelter. The brake-shape form of the lightweight panels will provide inherent strength, while simple locking devices will ensure stability and security in open and closed positions.

Is this a fully proposed building? Or is this just a concept of what *could* be built.

Back