Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Random shot of the library at night.

Image4.jpg

Attachments

• Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 272
Much more spandrel than the rendering suggests so far. I am disappointed with how its turning out.

I'm going to have to agree. I think this is going to be a failure and not live up the massive price tag. Materials look cheap and bland. Where the materials saved a rather bland design at the NMC, the materials at the NCL will be the detriment to a solid design.

Let her try on her dress before you tell her how she looks.

But yes, this has been a concern of mine with snohetta (and local partners). Bus-stop-chique. I think it will still look great for most site lines, and I'm holding out hope for the wood panels. The form is still A1 - I mean it's pretty cool that you can walk under it AND a train goes through it. It's going to be incredible even with a plasticky veneer.

I wouldn't call it a failure, but I agree with Rylucky that the materials are still a concern. That said, even if the materials are a let down, the building design and massing will be timeless and unique. Also how it ties into the LRT will be very notable.

Not looking any better....ugh. Was hoping for a lot of clear glass.
There should be more going up on the north side. The area they have yet to build out over the LRT entrance (left of the red line) will have more glass from the look of it. Still I was also hoping for more glass all along the facade.

Image5.jpg

Attachments

• Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 273
I stumbled across this:

http://www.designboom.com/architecture/rex-calgary-new-central-library-canada-12-15-2014/

Looks like it was one of the final 4 designs for the NCL. After seeing this design and these images and comparing it to what we are getting, we definitely lost out. WOW! This other design is much more remarkable and visually interesting. There would be no question that it would become one of Calgary's most iconic and recognizable buildings. Love the outdoor landscaping that was part of it. Instead we are getting a plastic boat. While the renderings looked very promising, the final result is looking very cheap. Still holding out hope that it will blossom with more glass, but at this point, very sterile.

To be honest I'm not in love with the other design. I agree with you about the plastic look of the facade on current design, but the massing is much better IMO. The boat shape should keep it unique forever.
We don't know how the materials would turn out in the other design.

I do really like the look of the glazing on that other design though.

Yeah, that REX project looks nice as well, but remember it's just another rendering. In the end, if the material choices are subpar or "value engineered", it doesn't matter how good your initial vision is.

The Snohetta direction looked pretty stunning too...I think even more so. I also like that they went with a direction that wasn't another box...we have too much of that.

I don't care for the REX design, but like the material on the facade. It reminds me of medieval chainmail armour. :cool: As for the overall design, it's really unimaginative imho. Materials aside, the boat shape of the chosen design, is something that will always stand out. The whole building shape and massing, is really cool imo, and worst case scenario is that the glazing doesn't live up to expectations. If the building had to go through a make over in the futire the glazing would be much easier to change than the building shape.

Back