Votes: 4 5.5%
  • So so

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Very Good

• Terrible

• Total voters
I don't care for the REX design, but like the material on the facade. It reminds me of medieval chainmail armour. :cool: As for the overall design, it's really unimaginative imho. Materials aside, the boat shape of the chosen design, is something that will always stand out. The whole building shape and massing, is really cool imo, and worst case scenario is that the glazing doesn't live up to expectations. If the building had to go through a make over in the futire the glazing would be much easier to change than the building shape.

It's just a facade. I'm more let down by Telus Sky's facade but its still an interesting, well crafted massing. This library hits all the right points and should stand as a fabulous public amenity. The facade isn't all that important and it does still live up to the renderings. The changes between real life and artistic impression is the amount of vision glass. It's not a big deal.

I find the opposite with Studio Bell. The only thing that stands out is the facade.

It's just a facade. I'm more let down by Telus Sky's facade but its still an interesting, well crafted massing. This library hits all the right points and should stand as a fabulous public amenity. The facade isn't all that important and it does still live up to the renderings. The changes between real life and artistic impression is the amount of vision glass. It's not a big deal.

I find the opposite with Studio Bell. The only thing that stands out is the facade.
I find the facade on Studio Bell is awesome, but there are some nice angles on the inside of the building. I like the deep slim canyons on the inside. In certain lighting conditions they look fantastic. But as far as comparing to the library, the library will have a much better inside and entrance way.

I agree. There are some nice angles on the inside but also some very cramped, claustrophobic spaces too. The main building's massing is basically a big block. I wasn't very impressed by how they carved it up.

I saw it in person the other day from front to back, and it looks way better in person than in pics. For anyone complaining about how it looks just going by pictures, I recommend going and actually seeing it.

00-2017 Mar 3 045.jpg
00-2017 Mar 3 046.JPG
00-2017 Mar 3 047.JPG

Attachments

• 00-2017 Mar 3 045.jpg
    00-2017 Mar 3 045.jpg
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 00-2017 Mar 3 046.JPG
    00-2017 Mar 3 046.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 386
  • 00-2017 Mar 3 047.JPG
    00-2017 Mar 3 047.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 286
I agree with the rest of you guys. The facade is whole debate itself, but the massing of this building is undeniable unique. I have no problem taking this design over the REX design.

Are they going to keep that slight bevel on the top edge? It looks great in the render.

I'd like it as well. The more "detail", the better. With a project like this at least :)

I stumbled across this:

http://www.designboom.com/architecture/rex-calgary-new-central-library-canada-12-15-2014/

Looks like it was one of the final 4 designs for the NCL. After seeing this design and these images and comparing it to what we are getting, we definitely lost out. WOW! This other design is much more remarkable and visually interesting. There would be no question that it would become one of Calgary's most iconic and recognizable buildings. Love the outdoor landscaping that was part of it. Instead we are getting a plastic boat. While the renderings looked very promising, the final result is looking very cheap. Still holding out hope that it will blossom with more glass, but at this point, very sterile.

It's hard to say without seeing the finished product, but I definitely prefer the shape of the building in Snohetta's design. The general shape of the other design doesn't do much for me, also we don't know what the inside of the REX design is like. The inside of the Snohetta design really stands out.

The inside of the Snohetta design really stands out.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the interior of the Ryerson SLC by Snøhetta is absolutely phenomenal. Judging by the renders of the library interior and actually getting tour of what was done in Toronto, I think that it's going to be a showstopper.

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the interior of the Ryerson SLC by Snøhetta is absolutely phenomenal. Judging by the renders of the library interior and actually getting tour of what was done in Toronto, I think that it's going to be a showstopper.

The inside is just as important as the outside for me...maybe more important, so that's good news. Really looking forward to seeing the inside.

Those pics you posted looked great, makes me confident that the inside of the is one will be great too.

Back