Votes: 4 5.5%
  • So so

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Very Good

• Terrible

• Total voters
If we're blowing things up, could we also do a do-over with the Salvation Army building design?

Reactions: AJX
I remember when that building went up, nobody really gave a shit because that whole area was such a wasteland that it was a miracle they even built anything.

I remember when that building went up, nobody really gave a shit because that whole area was such a wasteland that it was a miracle they even built anything.
I still remember when the Orange lofts went up, back in the day. I thought to myself, why would anyone build there??

I still remember when the Orange lofts went up, back in the day. I thought to myself, why would anyone build there??

It's amazing how times have changed.

You forget how seedy the area used to be. I went to drop a friend off at the Orange Lofts, and thought the same thing. 'Why is this cool little building, in such a crappy location?' It fits in perfectly now.

I used to feel sorry for these young backpacker types that were staying there.
I've stayed in hostels in Europe, and many of them are in cool buildings in the cool parts of the city. I was embarrassed every time I saw young people from other countries hanging around our hostel.

We do have a really shitty hostel scene in our city, for sure. But the East Village hostel was fully renovated after the Great Flood and now looks more like a hotel than a hostel. A friend stayed there a couple years ago and I went in there with her and checked it out, it's really nice.

Last edited:
I'm glad they renovated the hostel. It would be cool if the hostel could be relocated into a couple of lower floors in one of the new buildings going up in EV.

You know where I think would be a good location for a youth hostel? The old Calgary police station across from City Hall.
I've stayed in hostels in Europe that were connected to train stations and it was always very convenient. I also stayed in a hostel in Sydney that was underground and I think was part of an old subway station or something like that, very cool.

Reactions: AJX
You know where I think would be a good location for a youth hostel? The old Calgary police station across from City Hall.
I've stayed in hostels in Europe that were connected to train stations and it was always very convenient. I also stayed in a hostel in Sydney that was underground and I think was part of an old subway station or something like that, very cool.
I can't remember which city in Canada it is, but one of the cities is using an old jail as a hostel.

Back