Needs more cannabis stores to be considered a high street.
It's got High Park.. that's gotta count for something!

Speaking of, that turned out to be a disappointing place for a big parkade. Between Craft and National right there (plus Greta and Commonwealth a little further on in either direction) 10th Ave has turned into something of an organic entertainment district. It's not uncommon for both Craft and National to have long lineups for entry - if the other half of the street could have been more bars/clubs instead of parking, I think it would have boosted the area even further.

Speaking of, that turned out to be a disappointing place for a big parkade. Between Craft and National right there (plus Greta and Commonwealth a little further on in either direction) 10th Ave has turned into something of an organic entertainment district. It's not uncommon for both Craft and National to have long lineups for entry - if the other half of the street could have been more bars/clubs instead of parking, I think it would have boosted the area even further.
Yup! You could almost say it's becoming an Electric Avenue 2: Electric Boogaloo...

...I'll see myself out

It would be perfect if a bar/restaurant moved into one of the bays at the base of my building (First on Tenth - formerly Bromley Square). It would really lend some continuity to the 10 Avenue bar scene straight from Centre Street through to 8 Street once Oliver is complete. The street realm at the base of my building is just so damn hostile though I can see why no restaurant has set up shop there, though there is a massive space for a patio there.

After this block is finished, my most anticipated site to see a development on in the entire Beltline is the lot between 1 and 2 Streets SW on 10th.

In addition to that parcel, the two corners of 2nd St W and 10th Ave would be awesome, but 10th Ave is such low hanging fruit for public urban design. In order from north to south side, I'd propose:

Street trees on the north sidewalk
Protected 2-way bike lanes
2-way, 2-lane vehicle traffic, no wider than 21' total.
One lane of street parking on south side
Use all extra space (about 15') to widen south sidewalk, why not add trees here too.
Bonus - extend and round the intersection corners like on Elgin in Ottawa.

For the price of paving the south sidewalk, a barrier for the bike lane, some trees, signage, and paint, you've elevated 10th into what was previously a back-alley car access to one of the more activated and walkable main streets in the city. It also retains the same vehicle traffic flow volume. Most importantly, you've shown that when developers and business owners invest in Calgary, the City invests in them.

I wonder if it would be possible to convert the ground level floor of the “High Park” parkade into retail (small CRU’s). If they won’t ever consider demolishing the parkade, it would help the pedestrian realm greatly to add some retail at the base.
I've often wondered the same thing. I think someone once said the cost of it wouldn't make sense vs the status quo. Regardless, it would be a fantastic idea. Especially if the restaurants could have "patio access" onto the High Park rooftop.

New sign:
20220401_085512.jpg
20220401_085552.jpg

Last edited:
I've often wondered the same thing. I think someone once said the cost of it wouldn't make sense vs the status quo. Regardless, it would be a fantastic idea. Especially if the restaurants could have "patio access" onto the High Park rooftop.
Maybe the city could consider some partial funding to renovate some ground floor space into retail street front? It would be a big help into turning 10th into a high street type avenue. The retail space wouldn't have to be a major renovation, some some CRUs like the Bay parkade has.

Maybe the city could consider some partial funding to renovate some ground floor space into retail street front? It would be a big help into turning 10th into a high street type avenue. The retail space wouldn't have to be a major renovation, some some CRUs like the Bay parkade has.
Before the city turns it's attention to 10th Ave, there has to be some renewed focus on 8th Ave which is still the heart of downtown. West of 4 St SW is a disaster for vibrancy. Even from Centre St to 4 St, there are lots of empty spaces for lease.

Last edited:

Back