Votes: 19 40.4%
  • So So

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Either in EV, or somewhere in West Hillhurst near Kensington Rd. I'd really like to see that Truman project go ahead.
Truman has been marketing their Kensington Road project pretty heavily recently, redubbed "Frontier":

The same marketing team that I signed up with for First and Park in Eau Claire contacted me about this "opportunity" as well. Good of Truman to see the ability to sell an entire tower to Ontario investors, and try and capitalize on the same market. It will be interesting to see if they can achieve the same success. You will note that the phone number in the contact us portion of the website has a 647 area code, so Toronto.

So, the DP plans and renderings for Park Point II are now up on the DP link:

Definitely a change from the original, 2 tower proposal that was approved and had the first tower built..... Maybe this won't be so bad for @YourBoy007 .......
1641424692447.png

1641424713159.png

1641424741059.png

1641424766618.png

1641424783702.png

1641424807642.png

1641424869373.png

1641424884799.png

1641424905299.png

1641424921454.png

Disappointing for sure. Ya, another highrise would have been great but what I'm more disappointed about is the fact there's no ground-level retail along 11th ave. I also can't stand the suburban-style landscaping with the planters included. For the sake of good urbanism, just plant some large trees in a row with wide sidewalks. At least the materials look promising.

Qualex used to be very bullish on the Calgary condo market. This scaled down version is a sign that they are not confident they can sell out another high rise condo. There were several units in the first building that they were forced to turn into rentals. Like Bucci, they are not interested in the purpose rental market.
As for ground level retail, there is plenty of that in The District complex right next door. Not every residential building in the core is going to be able to support retail. As it is, there are dozens of ground level retail spaces that are sitting empty all over downtown and the Beltline.

It's perfect, some CRU's on 11 Ave would be nice but i'm 100% happy with it as is. As I've mentioned many times, if you are developing for-sale apartments the achievable $psf does not leave enough margin to do towers or multiple trays of underground parking. If we do see condos they are likely to be ~6-storey wood-frame with a single tray of parking. I'm sure its disappointing not seeing condo towers be viable but that is what the market is saying.

I think the materials and design look good, and i like the cornice detail. give me these for all beltline and downtown projects and i'd be happy.
;

Only 121 units so the second tower must have been scaled back.
The first tower had 289 units, do we know how many units this low-rise will have? Counting balconies seems like 60-70 units. Tower or not, that's still 350 units in 1/3 of a block, easily enough to help continue to help boost vibrancy in the area. Plus more of those units are closer to the ground which is a bonus. Apologies for the tower aficionados out there - the incremental difference between realizing this low-rise vs. a hypothetical slightly larger tower doesn't seem worth the energy here. Plenty of vibrancy-inducing density without it.

Great form too. If the materials come out well, it's an easy win. Perhaps it's just an artifact of the rendering, but I don't really get this continual interest in different shades of grey on the back walls of buildings. Totally a pet peeve as it doesn't really matter (beside being boring looking) but grey stripes seem to be popular for reasons I can't fathom. This wall faces the south tower's common space so it's not quite like they are imagining it being covered up one day.

1641485460762.png

A small corner retail bay is always welcome for a cafe or whatever, but it's not really mandatory as the 1st Street and 4th Street corridors are a block away in each direction and have more existing (and planned) retail. Overall, if we filled up most of the city's remaining surface parking lots with this style and scale of building and we'd be totally fine.

The second tower in the original plan was going to be shorter than the Phase 1 tower anyway so I’m not bothered by that.
This mid-rise looks good and eats-up a currently vacant lot so all is good IMO.
And I agree with 1875 - I wish the Metropolitan looked more like this.

Back