It will be very prominent in the skyline from the north.

Its in the middle of the beltline/ Downtown area. It's not gonna be too visible from the West, north, and eventually East. Thats why im not too concerned about the height and mediocre design. It's located nearby the Core shopping mall so hopefully an extra 1200 people will bring in more non office customers regularly and also give a boost to Stephen Ave.

It will be very prominent in the skyline from the north.
R u sure you got the right direction? From the North would mean looking from an area like Crescent Hill which it would be blocked by the dense downtown highrises. Looking from the South is the only real direction its going to look overwelhming and even then decades from now when the Beltline begins approaching closer to being fully transformed with every plot of land effiiently used, these 2 buildings will be hidden atleast slightly. If this was at the edge of downtown like "The Hat" in EV, then I would have been outraged. A few tall mediocre buildings in the centre of downtown/Beltline I can live with.

Oh boy there seems to be a mistake from my end, I was under the impression that this was going where place 10 was being built based on the land parcel, completely my fault. :oops: Yea, its going to be noticeable from the North, hopefully not too bad.

Massive improvement for this location. I'm not so much concerned about the tower portion of a building as I am the podium, and while this podium is a bit busy and awkward, it's going to dramatically improve the street presence and the retail will bring some life into the area. So nice having the retail facing the street and not inward to the +15 like it is on office towers.

How much of the ground floor does the retail take up?

4 units doesn't sound like a whole lot for this large block. It needs to have substance and be continuous or else it could be vacuumed up by the dead space around it. Retail is fickle. Two of the four spaces designed for small office shows some apprehension on the developer's part. You guys are totally right.that it's great to see active usage included in the development. It needs to be exceptionally attractive spaces to retain tenancy. Design is as important as the inclusion of retail and the number of people that will eventually call this project home.

One of the retail spaces is quite large and is meant to be an interior space that can house more than one business, similar to the First Street Market in Underwood tower. two of the other spaces are smaller, and the fourth is designed for a restaurant with a patio. One large and one small space in each podium. The podium is split by an entrance roadway connected at the top of the podium with +15 style connection.

On the plans it looks like they've designed the larger retail spaces which sit on the corners, such that they can be divided up into smaller if desired.

I'm happy for the amount of residential going right into the core. I hadn't heard anything about this proposal, I wonder what the chances of it getting built are?

calgary rule, if its on the edge of downtown and visible from everywhere itll be tall, cheap and ugly.
Not really understanding this statement ? - examples ?
(Guardians are pretty ugly, and West Village Towers have the potential to be - I'll give you those two).

I'm happy for the amount of residential going right into the core. I hadn't heard anything about this proposal, I wonder what the chances of it getting built are?
I don't like it's chances - hope I'm pleasantly surprised though.

It's pretty cool looking. Not a stunning masterpiece, but the design is decent. Tower facades are mostly aluminum composite panels (looks like a white and a light brown, almost wood colour), but have big wood vertical sections that go from base to nearly the parapet. Don't quote me on this, as I might be misreading the plans, but the west façade of the east tower and the south façade of the west tower are almost all wood (wonder if it is a prodema type product). Eitehr way imagine a mostly white aluminum façade with large areas of light brown elements.

Project site for those confused:
20190624_143935.jpg

I get some of the disdain for mediocre/ value architecture design, especially with taller, more prominent towers. But looking at the pictures of the site and surrounding towers, literally anything may be an improvement there. Add in the density for the location and hopefully good CRU and I think this could be a huge win!

Back