News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I made the move to Lethbridge last year, largely because of the cost of living. Unfortunately for most young people I think the choice is between being a homeowner in a small town/city or renting in a major metro.

That being said, I'm loving being a homeowner and there's no way I could ever afford a comparable home in Calgary in an inner city neighborhood.
How did the move affect your career?

$1.5 million for a skinny detached infill (with semi detached garage) near such illustrious locales as Westbrook and Shaganappi Village: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/26559441/419-36-street-sw-calgary-spruce-cliff

Is the premium of a new building really worth that much to some people? For less money you can get nice houses with similar square footage in places like Altadore and Garrison Woods, and be walking distance to both Marda Loop and better schools. You also wouldn't need to cross Bow Trail to pop over to the grocery store.

$1.5 million for a skinny detached infill (with semi detached garage) near such illustrious locales as Westbrook and Shaganappi Village: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/26559441/419-36-street-sw-calgary-spruce-cliff

Is the premium of a new building really worth that much to some people? For less money you can get nice houses with similar square footage in places like Altadore and Garrison Woods, and be walking distance to both Marda Loop and better schools. You also wouldn't need to cross Bow Trail to pop over to the grocery store.
This one is just overpriced. There's another infill for sale one block over (427 37 St SW) for 1.2M with larger sq footage but slightly narrower (25 vs 27). Now 1.2M may not be any more reasonable but it's still 300k less than the example given.

I'm moving back to Calgary and looking to rent a condo (DMs are open if anyone is leasing an unit). I was renting a 1 bedroom for 1.1k$ in 2020/2021, now i'm gonna need to spend at least 1.8k it's insane.

I also wonder why condos remain cheap to buy when rents are spiking this much.

I'm moving back to Calgary and looking to rent a condo (DMs are open if anyone is leasing an unit). I was renting a 1 bedroom for 1.1k$ in 2020/2021, now i'm gonna need to spend at least 1.8k it's insane.

Yeah I'm also looking to move back to Calgary in the next year or two and my eyes start watering every time I think about rent 😮‍💨 I used to share a 4 bedroom duplex for $1300/m (total). Now I'll be looking at $1700/m+ for a 2bdr apartment. Ouch.

As much as I love the growth Calgary is seeing it's a tough pill to swallow how badly that's going to hurt affordability.

Only if you want to live in some fancy new build with floor to ceiling windows. There are far more options out there, even in places like the Beltline.

I'm working from home so yes I'm looking for nice place downtown, which comes at a price, but this price was 600$ cheaper 3 years ago...

Lack of investors and purpose built rentals. Many more developments here are purpose-built rentals primarily because no rent control and low investors demand, so developers just keep the units themselves. In Toronto, there's rent control and lots of investor demand, so developers just build and make profit then deploy that capital to the next project. Truman is really bringing that model to Alberta... and the investor's too. They are having investor events in Toronto suburbs every month.

Condos have appreciated a lot. From 2021 to 2023 my old modest Sunalta 2 bed 1 bath went from no interest at $190 to a bidding war that settled at $230, still far below the 2014 peak I paid though. I'd imagine it is closing in on the peak now.

I hope this brings positive vibes to the forum today. My niece just found a two bedroom older place in Sunnyside for $1400, and a friend's son found a place in Capitol Hill for $1500. Also two bedroom and older. And lastly my brother is renting a small two bedroom house in Tuxedo, right near 4th street and 25th ave NW for $1900. I'm checking with him to see if it's still vacant.

Back