News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Experiencing Sweden's train and metro system has opened my eyes to what is possible with public transportation. A common argument against it in Canada is land size to population, but sweden is about the size of BC and Alberta with a similar population, and they have trains connecting almost all reasonably sized population centres. You can get to almost any city or town by tain or bus. I was visiting a town of 2000 people and they even had a passenger train station. The fact that a Calgary to Banff line seems like such a pie in the sky dream here makes me a bit sad.
I do think Sweden, just like the rest of Europe is ahead in her thinking compared to Canada, but you can’t really compare Alberta to Sweden. Most of Sweden’s 10 million people live in a 100,000 km² area, whereas 70% of Alberta’s 4.5 million people live in two metro areas that are a 3 Hour drive apart. The rest of the provinces population is scattered throughout the 600,000 sq km space, So having trains cover most towns with populations of 2000 people is not feasible, even if we had the European transit mindset.

That said, if we had the European mindset, we’d easily have a high-speed train from Calgary to Edmonton and at least one from Calgary to Banff. Which is probably what you were getting at.

When the Calgary to Banff rail project is complete, is it going to have a stop in Canmore? Also when it’s complete would a line extension from Calgary to Drumheller make sense given they’re the same distance and provide similar tourism?

Yes. And no. Even if the Drumheller was a similar draw for visitation (which it isn't), the rail has been abandoned. In the Valley itself, the railbeds are being reused as flood barriers and bike paths.

Fun fact: Drumheller is the worst market in the province for hotels right now at only 35.4% occupancy through to April. https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/164...wnload/jei-tourism-market-monitor-2022-06.pdf
We went out to Drumheller a few times in 2020 and 2021 kind of pretending it was Arizona - if you squint, it will do - but personally I am booked to go to Scottsdale for spring break next year, sorry Drumheller.

Yes. And no. Even if the Drumheller was a similar draw for visitation (which it isn't), the rail has been abandoned. In the Valley itself, the railbeds are being reused as flood barriers and bike paths.

Fun fact: Drumheller is the worst market in the province for hotels right now at only 35.4% occupancy through to April. https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/164...wnload/jei-tourism-market-monitor-2022-06.pdf
Maybe if they didn't make the rooms outragously priced, it would fill up more? Priced out a night over the august long weekend, and couldn't believe how much it was.

Reactions: AJX
When the Calgary to Banff rail project is complete, is it going to have a stop in Canmore? Also when it’s complete would a line extension from Calgary to Drumheller make sense given they’re the same distance and provide similar tourism?
And once a Drumheller extension is built, when can we expect a spur to the Torrington World Famous Gopher Museum?

I had the exact opposite experience there recently.
The streets downtown were hopping and the brewery was packed with expanded seating into the adjacent park.
When the bike system is done, the town has good bones and should be able to flip on a dime as the main streets shift from subsistence level owner operator businesses.

I remember there was an RFP out about 3-4 years ago, looking at doing streetscape upgrades to downtown Drumheller in a push to make it more attractive for tourists. If I recall, this was in line with the Provincial push to increase tourism to Alberta, and recognizing Banff/Jasper are pretty much maxed out, there was a big desire to turn Drumheller into the strong #3 desitination for tourists (outside of the big cities). The team I was part of did not win the bid, so not sure what the status of that project is. Hopefully Covid didn't derail it.

Thanks for that. Very ambitious, I’d love to see all of that come to fruition.

Because I haven't seen this posted here... More trouble for the passenger train to Banff.

If it isn't the Government saying its too risky for an investment, then it's not looking at its environmental impact close enough.

Personally, I try to be sympathetic and understanding but I really worry about our ability to realize major projects like this because we have to satisfy everyone.

Back