News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

http://globalnews.ca/news/3623397/s...e-prix-fixe-menus-during-new-foodie-festival/
Summer Feast: 13 Calgary restaurants offer $15-35 prix-fixe menus during new foodie festival

bridgette-bar-facebook.jpg

Attachments

• bridgette-bar-facebook.jpg
    bridgette-bar-facebook.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,264
I took my fiancee out for her birthday to Blink a couple weeks ago. It' excellent if you've never had the experience.

I think that's a known commodity most though. What I'd really like to stump for the Derrick! It's a new discovery for us and one we've warmed to very quickly. It's a cocktail bar on 8th street, just west of 5th ave. They have a creative cocktail menu and some excellent appetisers. They have a sister establishment two doors down, called Untitled. It shares a kitchen with the Derrick I believe, but it's claim to fame is as a champagne and jazz bar. They have live jazz every Thursday. It was an excellent night out if you're looking for something that isn't just the regular Calgary bar-club rigmarole.

Not really in Calgary, but nearby is the Longview Steakhouse. I have been wanting to try it for a while and finally got around to it. Possibly the best steak I've ever had. Loved the Mussels that I had as an appetiser also. The view of the foothills from the restaurant is fantastic too.

I'll definitely be going back there sometime

The glorious new SAIT Tastemarket in the Barclay Building (7th Avenue & 4th Street SW) is now open for business. I had a pretty good lunch there yesterday. For those familiar with the Culinary Campus in Scotia Tower, this is a new experience. I spoke with the manager, the only thing you'll find that's the same are the desserts, which are made there. The rest is all brand new, a sandwich bar, a hot food bar, a bar... bar a gas fired pizza oven and cafe/bakery section. I believe the interiors were done by Mickinley Burkart and they're looking pretty snappy.

Last edited:
I went to Fourth Spot yesterday, and was super impressed with their happy hour specials. They have a few different items all for $4 specials. 6 inch pizzas which are surprisingly good for the price, and a good sized bowl of boneless chicken strips that come in quite a few different flavors. One could easily make these into a meal. IIRC happy hour is 2-5pm. If you're in that are and want some cheap beers and good apps to go with it, definitely check it out.

This is a really fantastic and recent New York Times article that I think you guys might like... https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...to-do-36-hours-in-alberta-calgary-canada.html

36 Hours in Calgary, Alberta

By ELAINE GLUSAC - JAN. 25, 2018
A new generation of chefs is championing locally sourced menus, and a relaxation of liquor production laws has led to a boom in microbreweries.

The construction cranes that pierce the downtown Calgary skyline and nearby neighborhoods suggest a boom on the Alberta prairie. In fact, in the past two years, sagging oil and gas prices have crimped Calgary’s economy, which is now showing signs of recovery. Projects underway before the slowdown, including the music museum at Studio Bell, have charged the city’s cultural scene. A new generation of chefs is championing Alberta-grown-and-raised foodstuffs, and a relaxation of liquor production laws in 2013 has led to a boom in microbreweries. Banff-bound visitors commonly land in Calgary and head directly to the national park, about a 90-minute drive west. But Calgary also champions the outdoors, with extensive recreational paths, world-class Olympic facilities that are open to the public and a penchant for open-air cafes even in winter when, occasionally, the chinook winds sweep in.

Went to Modern Steak in Kensington last night, was quite tasty, but I didn't find it to be anything exceptional, especially given that the cheapest steak was about $40. I think Vintage and Hy's are still the best steak places in town, been quite a while since I ate at Caesar's, they were quite good last time though. Ate at Saltlik a month or two ago and found it to be quite meh...

Went to Modern Steak in Kensington last night, was quite tasty, but I didn't find it to be anything exceptional, especially given that the cheapest steak was about $40. I think Vintage and Hy's are still the best steak places in town, been quite a while since I ate at Caesar's, they were quite good last time though. Ate at Saltlik a month or two ago and found it to be quite meh...

I can confirm Ceasar's has still got it when it comes to delivering a top notch steak. I think I was there in November. The decor looks like it belongs as a setting for an 80s mobster movie, but it's well kept so it's more classic than passé. I've also been to Hy's recently and I had no complaints either, Ceasar's felt a little more relaxed. I also went to Briggs on 10th about 3 weeks ago and that was lights out!

EDIT: I've had a lot more streak lately than I figured.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "lights out" for Briggs? I wanna try it. Any good?

Back