Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 97 66.9%
  • No

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 6.9%

• Total voters
This hits at the whole thing about economic benefit for the arena - we already have that economic benefit of a major event centre in the area. For the past 40 years, about 20,000 people would visit Victoria Park occasionally and spend money on local bars, restaurants. The new arena's economic pitch was always incremental (e.g. get people to spend a bit more money each visit, have a few more events that bring more people down over time than currently).

As you said so yourself - we already have lots of big event traffic and the area remains a dead zone most of the time. That's because big events aren't good at creating a 24/7/365 entertainment district on their own, they are the event equivalent of office-only 9 to 5 sterile office districts. Arena's - shiny new ones or old outdated ones - don't help you solve this meaningfully. We should be critical of claims otherwise.

Similarly there's still no evidence that this $1B+ in public subsidy between the arena and convention centre will result in meaningful development at a scale that would help fill the gaps and start to create that 24/7/365 entertainment district. Unless another development we haven't heard of starts soon, on opening day in 2028 you'll have an attractive, new, modern, sleek - but ultimately similar - situation to today's setup in the area (from an economic development perspective). Therefore, I don't see evidence that much will change regardless of how great this latest design is.
It is weird isn't it, they essentially just renewed what was already there and are expecting a different result. Does four restaurants, a food hall, and a community arena make it worthwhile? I actually think the outdoor courts and ice rink are a good start. Put in a proper size sports field (soccer/football) in place of the saddledome and add a little greenery and integrate with the Elbow river and suddenly people have a reason to be there every night of the year. When I said earlier do what they did in University District, I wasn't joking. If that scale of development is what the market can bare then that's what should be built; some high-rise but mostly low/mid-rise.
These are exhausting to unpack. For a second, pretend the flames left tomorrow, no NHL/AHL/WHL/NLL team. What's your plan for the Rivers/Saddledome....
I don't think we're saying F*** Murray let them walk, at least what I'm saying is what else can be done to actually move the needle on the Victoria/Stampede Park-ing Lot becoming more than it is.

Apparently they require $8 million more than budgeted to ensure proper sound insulation to meet bylaw requirements. Instead of going over budget, they are just changing the noise bylaw 😄
Seems like the cost would be worth it, given the overall project cost. Yet the councillors aren't even talking about spending the $8 million as a possibility, but rather trying to sell the idea of a level of noise which has never been acceptable in Calgary up to this point (outside of the Stampede weeks).

Apparently they require $8 million more than budgeted to ensure proper sound insulation to meet bylaw requirements. Instead of going over budget, they are just changing the noise bylaw 😄

That’s a lot of “well it’s a problem, but it’s not my problem, it’s only a problem for a select number of people, so therefore it’s not really a problem, just go away and deal with it!” perspective.

Any guesses on which hotel we’ll see? Edmonton got a JW which is very nice, world class chef brought in. I’d love to see something similar if not better here.

I'm not too worried about the sound leaking out of the building, as long as it doesn't result in god awful acoustics. The land north and west of the arena has yet to even be developed and so new buildings will simply need to be built with extra sound proofing on the side facing it. Plus there's always the possibility they'll add in the sound reducing panels in a future renovation if it does pose a problem.

I'm not too worried about the sound leaking out of the building, as long as it doesn't result in god awful acoustics. The land north and west of the arena has yet to even be developed and so new buildings will simply need to be built with extra sound proofing on the side facing it. Plus there's always the possibility they'll add in the sound reducing panels in a future renovation if it does pose a problem.
GM place in Vancouver leaks big time. The goal fog horn I can hear with my windows closed 850 meters away.

Found a super high res version:​

scotia-place-hero.png

After having some time to digest the new design my opinion of it has improved. When I saw the first image with the main building all lit up I was on my phone and couldn't see much detail. It looked like the entire top of the building was an LED screen. This detailed diagram shows an LED banner wrapping from outside the building into the concourse area which is kind of cool. Knowing that the "Flames" are metal bands visible in the daytime makes this more dynamic in different lighting. It's an interesting approach and I am curious to see how it gets built and what the final product looks like.

The street level is 100 times better than the HP Laserjet version. Overall I think this could turn out quite nicely. Curious to watch it progress.

It is weird isn't it, they essentially just renewed what was already there and are expecting a different result. Does four restaurants, a food hall, and a community arena make it worthwhile? I actually think the outdoor courts and ice rink are a good start. Put in a proper size sports field (soccer/football) in place of the saddledome and add a little greenery and integrate with the Elbow river and suddenly people have a reason to be there every night of the year. When I said earlier do what they did in University District, I wasn't joking. If that scale of development is what the market can bare then that's what should be built; some high-rise but mostly low/mid-rise.

I don't think we're saying F*** Murray let them walk, at least what I'm saying is what else can be done to actually move the needle on the Victoria/Stampede Park-ing Lot becoming more than it is.
I dont think some are appreciating how important the street level design of the arena, or any building for that matter, is to a neighborhood's vibe/feel/positivity. Yes, the Saddleome is currently drawing people, albeit not as many as the new barn will, but it's exterior design is HORRIBLE for that element. Literally a massive blob, with an exhibition ground on one side and a convention hall on the other, the area had no chance. People literally park, go the event/game, leave. Zero interaction with the neighborhood. Imagine if they plopped the fieldhouse (with no exterior street facing elements)in the middle of univ district...it would be a killer to development.

I think we're also casually glossing over the fact that the Saddledome is going to fail, it needs to be replaced, that is barely debateable. You can debate the private/public percentages for sure, but in 90% of cases across North America in the last 20 years, especially arenas, the public pays its share bc of all the events that have nothing to do with the pro team, let alone if a team wasn't here at all.

Last edited:
I’m hoping the reason it took so long is because they’ve already value engineered it to absolute death, relatively.

Back