Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 100 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 25.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
We had the full floor plans of the last one, no?
Correct, but I dont know how common that is. Impossible to find on the internet of any other major north american facility
I may not be understanding correctly what the security risk would be?
I'd say, generally speaking, in today's day and age releasing detailed floorplans of a major spectator facility, with every exit, entrance, hallway, ect...would put pointless information into the public sphere, that would add nothing of benefit and only aid someone with bed intentions. Why do they put bullions/concrete benches/elevated landscaping around the perimeter...same reason

1726848889173.png

I really liked there first renders for it

Our first renders were the Rosetti ones though that weren't all that bad. This render by Populous is of a similar vein, because there's no real plans drawn up just yet.

Last edited:
Our first renders were the Rosetti ones though that weren't all that bad. This render by Populous is of a similar vein, because there's no real plans drawn up just yet.
"proposed arena renderings" do more harm than good lol. That senators one is no different, so much about it is impractical when designing an actual arena (ie: endless glass when you actually need stairwells, storage), yet people will use it as a comparable for what they get, which will look nothing like it.

It'll be an interesting comparison what they'll get for the $ involved. Both sites are 10 acres too.
They already have a practice facility, so my guess is some complimentary development built into the arena design

(ie: endless glass when you actually need stairwells, storage), yet people will use it as a comparable for what they get, which will look nothing like it.
If you have the space, a partial glass wrap works, like Kansas City or Las Vegas. Some is actual glass to internal spaces, the rest only looks like it under certain lighting conditions.

"proposed arena renderings" do more harm than good lol. That senators one is no different, so much about it is impractical when designing an actual arena (ie: endless glass when you actually need stairwells, storage), yet people will use it as a comparable for what they get, which will look nothing like it.
Prudential Centre in New Jersey has a pretty big glass wall and atrium.
1726866655416.png
1726866756484.png

On Ottawa Arena, a few similarities. From Reddit:

Key Points

• 10 acres of land. 7 acres for the arena itself, 3 acres for a public square.
  • The sale price will be established after an assessment of the land.
  • Sens will be owner of the land in mid-2025.
  • Owned by Capital Sports and Entertainment (Sens), sold at fair market value
  • NCC wanted a long-term lease, team would not budge on a sale
  • Keep emphasizing that it's an entertainment area, not just an arena
  • No cost established yet, still in the design phase.
  • Too many parameters and variables before we can provide a timeline. Years, not months before a shovel hits the ground.
  • The agreement was actually signed this morning. Papers were going back and forth last night.
  • Mixed-use land. 6,000 new homes, 25% affordability.
  • NCC is committed to bringing in other developments on the same timeline.
  • Public transit is an important consideration in this. East-West and North-South lines of the LRT connect right next to the prospective place for the arena.
  • City/Taxpayer role: A long way from details on financing. "I don't think" there should be an expectation of taxpayer funding. (from Sens) Potential P3 agreement, ala the Oilers. Both Bell and Richcraft Sensplex are P3 agreements.
  • Plans for CTC: No detailed plans yet. Have had conversations, and it's clear the Sens need to do something special with this land. CTC will continue to be updated and repaired until the team moves.
  • Need to do geological, geotechnical, transportation, and mobility studies. Need to do financing plan, zoning, environmental, and site cleanup studies. Numerous long studies and works need to be done before shovel in ground. There is contaminated soil that needs to be cleaned up.
  • A Reporter asked about the different tones between the new Sens (Andlauer) and old Sens (Melnyk). Said a lot of words without saying anything of actual value.
NCC rep: "A key point in this was when Andlauer purchased the team."

The team wanted to own the land so that they could reduce complexity in an already complex process.

Prudential Centre in New Jersey has a pretty big glass wall and atrium.
View attachment 597706View attachment 597707
Sorry, never mean you cant have glass lol, can absolutely have glass and should....meant moreso when you look at Ottawa's renderings, on 3 of the 4 sides its just a glass curtain, which, for the reasons I mentioned above just makes no sense for what you require on the inside. Prudential then has 0 windows and flat walls on the other 2 sides.

Take the arena part out of it, i've never liked public facing conceptual renderings for anything, when the only purpose is to "make it look good on the outside", with zero regard for function. Your average, uninformed citizen then uses that as their baseline for an actual design.
ottawa-senators-arena-on-lebreton-flats-1-5960277-1656019898364.png
FWBQuMwXkAAvYSl.jpg

Ottawa's concept looks great, it reminds me of the original concept plans for our new event centre, before reality set in.

View attachment 597978
It is too bad the inverted bowl capacity caps out in the 15ks. Saves lots of space.

In hindsight with how great the Rossetti concept was, it locked in event centre 1.0 to too small of a site, and led to everyone not being super thrilled and then the new arena.

That is a beautiful concept, but I highly doubt their arena will even resemble that. The sheer amount of glass and wood already makes it appear unfeasible cost wise. Still wish our arena had a little more glass and less white metallic panelling.
One of the few things I liked about the original design was that it had a glass wall. In this edition it's been replaced by panelling

Back