Are the energy codes applied nationally? I am sure they may be partially to blame, but the source might be something else as many Canadian cities seem to manage to have better materials and window placement, even in affordable housing.
Here in Alberta, we’ve adopted NECB 2017 without modification which is fairly onerous, especially for budget-conscious multi-residential construction such as this. For window wall envelope systems the new energy code and our harsh climate means lower glazing percentages than what you will see in other Canadian cities. Curtain wall systems can achieve higher glazing ratios but these are more expensive.

In BC they actually have a more developer friendly policy in place that allows for a choice in compliance to either ASHRAE or NECB 2015 I believe. I don’t think Ontario has adopted NECB 2017 either but Toronto has a municipal standard. So yes, there is a patchwork of regulations across the country. The next round of energy code updates is supposed to standardize regulations across the country with an incremental code, but we will see if that actually happens.

6CDB8B84-6D20-4377-89D9-53A1A2D8EA2A.jpeg

I am not sure if that the last floor they just sheeted in the photo above is a mechanical floor, but the lack of windows on this floor is appalling.😖

Sad to see the erasure of architectural history with the new facade of aluminum composite panels This was one of the oldest high rises in the city and the first with a modern "glass and steel" facade.
Agreed. I like the usage change, but unfortunate that it was a nice boutique office building with a cool retro look, and not one of the several bland boring buildings from the 70's or 80's.

Back