Beggers can't be choosers.

Having issues with the design is OK, but I think many people are missing the most important component of this development and that is it's adding much needed density we've all been begging for. The current businesses and historic buildings along 8th Ave are nice, however it's still a ghost town most of the time. They aren't exactly flourishing with people. Even on their busiest of times, it's rather lame compared to other cities/countries. Renovating them would do very little to increase foot traffic and increase business. Furthermore, they are keeping the church and BMO bank so that's good. And the historic buildings along 7th are toast anyway and aren't worth keeping or investing money into.

Density first and foremost. Unfortunately you can't just ask them to put it on an empty parking lot on another plot of land.

This has been the mentality of our city with every recession and look at what it's gotten us. A dead core with windswept plazas, no night life and terrible pedestrian experiences. I really hope council doesn't repeat the mistake of cowtowing to some big developer who promises to fix all our problems while proposing a development straight out of the 80's.

Imagine the streetscape on 7th Ave with this podium across the street from a 15 story blank wall for Telus' Server farm.

1760_TELUS+DOWNTOWN+CAMPUS++-+RENDER+-+04c.jpg

Last edited:
Naw it will be bland and soulless as depicted. What does it matter adding more residents if you make the street an inhospitable hellscape? Will they really want to hang out beside an oppressive dark 20 story bunker or in the courtyard filled with idling delivery trucks?

Neo is taking the 2 top floors of the Bay building and have a floor or two in the Edison, I doubt it's them. I do wonder if the city could block the office part, I definitely think it's irresponsible to build.
How long is the Neo lease at the Bay? Even if this goes ahead it probably won’t be ready for tenants until five years from now.

The only thing that was holding my interest for this tower was that it was a new tallest. Now that it’s not going to be, I have no interest in seeing it built. The extra residential density would be nice, but there are better ways to accomplish the same thing.
The last thing our downtown needs is another large, monolithic ,soul sucking, bland box. I would 100 times rather see those buildings long seventh renovated and Some low rise loft units in behind them. Something similar to what Calgcouver was showing.

The only thing that was holding my interest for this tower was that it was a new tallest. Now that it’s not going to be, I have no interest in seeing it built. The extra residential density would be nice, but there are better ways to accomplish the same thing.
The last thing our downtown needs is another large, monolithic ,soul sucking, bland box. I would 100 times rather see those buildings long seventh renovated and Some low rise loft units in behind them. Something similar to what Calgcouver was showing.
Sums up my thoughts as well.
Build it to 280m+ or don’t build it.

Back