The towers overall are decent, particularly for Cidex. The project almost seems to be turning its back to the river though, the way the podium is designed. Definitely a missed opportunity.

This is some serious density that should help with the activation of the new 17th Avenue main street connection.

Perhaps they are planning conference space in the podium. The lack of windows is very peculiar.

Wow, this might be too dense (podium and closeness of the towers)? I hope this scale of project triggers the city to re-visit the cycle-track proposal for Macleod Tr, this level of density (along with existing/planned corridor density) needs a far better street network design that the after-thought car-sewer that it is today, radically rethinking the area and moving to an urban pedestrian priority future.

Yikes. The podium looks like it has turned its back on the river completely. I understand that a brief stretch of riverbank sandwiched between the Macleod Trail couplet will never be an oasis but I feel like it is deserving of some sort of effort to acknowledge that it's there. Instead it looks like the podium is most likely an above ground parking structure (based on the small windows) and that the river bank also serves some sort of role that involves vehicles. The way the Hat has turned out in East Village also doesn't leave me with much hope about how the towers will turn out looking.

Ya, i am definitely worried about the podium and interaction with the river. There is no excuse for the interaction with the riverfront not to be high quality and usable for pedestrians. If it isn't patios facing the river and nice places to sit and linger, this will be a pretty big missed opportunity. Nothing about this development feels warm or inviting, I agree with Silence&Motion, the best term to describe the feel is oppressive. Let's hope it gets better as they get into more detailed design, but the podium already looks like the junk at the Marriott Residence Inn on 10 Ave. Beltline Community members, I would probably try to push this thing in the right direction.
29139262977_68b3430d52_b.jpg

I'm fine if they want to make the street side of the podium like that, it's not ideal but survivable. But I agree, facing the river with what looks like it should instead be facing a back alley is unacceptable.
Should be some big floor-to-ceiling windows allowing lots of natural light and views, trees, pathways out to the river, a park, a plaza, etc.

Might just be the low quality picture, but is that a surface parking lot I see running along the river? Where the plaza and whatnot should be? Didn't even notice it before. Unreal.

Not crazy about the design (for reasons already poinred out) but I sure love the height and what it will do for the skyline.

I agree.it looks like some subpar Toronto development. It's grossly oversized in scale which is ironic given my biggest beef is usually underscaled street walls. The towers look stubby despite their height. Something else to associate to Toronto developments.

I agree.it looks like some subpar Toronto development. It's grossly oversized in scale which is ironic given my biggest beef is usually underscaled street walls. The towers look stubby despite their height. Something else to associate to Toronto developments.
Now that you mention it, they do looks stubby for the height. They almost look like office tower floorplates.

I can imagine the shadow coming off this wall of 30+ storey buildings and an enormous, oversized street-wall will be pretty deadening to 17th Ave here (it's largely already quiet here, but no sunlight most of the year can't help). With only one poor quality rendering so far, it does not look promising and strikes me as the bad kind of density; density without good design can be a net negative even in a city as desperate for sustainable, urban density like ours. Totally willing to change my mind with future renderings that reveal more than meets the eye at first glance.

Perhaps the podium is above grade parking given the flood plain? If so that would be another major negative of this development, scaling it so large that you lose all the urban walk-ability characteristics of the base (likely in a worse way, but not very dissimilar to many Vic Park condos already in the corridor), while further deadening the area through major shadows and enormous car accommodations.

Was driving east on 12th Ave today and noticed the buildings on the NW corner of 12th & 11th Street are all fenced off.
Anyone know what this is for ?

Back