If I had to speculate (and I don't, but will anyways)...

I think market conditions have changed massively. With commercial rents down and interest rates up, ASI's holding cost for this parcel has probably increased substantially. As a result, they probably need to pull forward development from "years from now" to "asap"

Project economics are probably better to build wood-frame low-rise vs concrete mid-rise. It also requires a lower capital raise and this is a challenging time to raise capital.

So smaller, wood-frame building = easier to fund, better project economics, faster timelines. It's a sign of the times.
Then they should sell that site. That’s a prime location that needs high density.

Their new design is good for Marda Loop or Sunnyside, but it’s terrible for 17th.

Epic failure on Calgary if they don’t stop this development from proceeding.

Yea, I hate to sound like a hypocrite by being a NIMBYist, but I believe the few times a project should ever be halted and reviewed is if the proposed development is atrociously designed for a prominent main street or is replacing an old heritage building. I would have zero complaints if this was getting built somewhere like 16th Ave NW, but this location is too valuable to waste away with such a hideous design.

Last edited:
The only progress I want to see on this one is for ASI to sell it to a developer with a bold vision for the site and the financial resources to make it happen.
Or, hell, even cancel it. It's not like it's replacing an empty lot. The building that's there currently is at least interesting, and interfaces well with the corner.

It's not a suburban office. It's not surrounded by parking, and it has retail all the way around the main floor. Also the period details are sweet. Pop inside sometime and check them out before it's demolished.

Or, hell, even cancel it. It's not like it's replacing an empty lot. The building that's there currently is at least interesting, and interfaces well with the corner.
The city needs to revoke their development permit if they try to go ahead with this.

Remember Nenshi explicitly stating that this needs to be high density? Pepperidge farm remembers

Considering we have discussion on whether it's more important to have multiple mid rise buildings built on the same block to increase density and address housing, or only get one high rise building built on a corner, I would not be upset with The Sentinel proceeding as proposed. It's still about +300 units roughly? That's still a good boost of density to that corner, and it's another project that's built that adds to the housing supply that desperately needs to be filled. Especially when it's in an area that central, has relatively good transit, and along a main street(s).

Considering we have discussion on whether it's more important to have multiple mid rise buildings built on the same block to increase density and address housing, or only get one high rise building built on a corner, I would not be upset with The Sentinel proceeding as proposed. It's still about +300 units roughly? That's still a good boost of density to that corner, and it's another project that's built that adds to the housing supply that desperately needs to be filled. Especially when it's in an area that central, has relatively good transit, and along a main street(s).
Forget it not be a high rise for a sec, it's just outright ugly and does not belong on 17th. The street front design is just atrocious for a high street.

Forget it not be a high rise for a sec, it's just outright ugly and does not belong on 17th. The street front design is just atrocious for a high street.
I do think the street level could be better. I'm not in alignment with the courtyard access being from the front. The orientation should be flipped so 17th and 14th are lined up with CRUs that aren't disrupted. But I'm okay with the height considering the number of units it provides.

latest DP plans

1709583698744.png

Back