News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What's the argument for and against higher frequency but shorter trains? I understand the frequency likely messes with the line capacity but just curious.

Operational cost is driven by labour, and for a given capacity, more trains equals more LRV operator hours. Plus 7th had been capacity constrained for at least a decade and a half now so the argument was largely moot. Here are numbers from 2006:
Maintenance/Operating Costs (2006)Cost (millions)What changes this cost
Rail Central Control$3.1Relatively fixed
Vehicle Maintenance costs$13.9Vehicle hours/mileage
Station Maintenance costs$2.8Passenger Volume
Right of Way Maintenance costs$2.9Vehicle mileage/speed
Signals Maintenance costs$2.4Relatively Fixed
Average annual power costs$4.8Vehicle hours/mileage/speed
Annual LRV Operator wages (includes fringe benefits of 21.57%)$6.0Train hours

1667266464895.png

The LRT tunnel under Calgary city hall

From 1982’s "City Hall Area Redevelopment Plan"

The city borrowed $16.5 million to build the part under the Municipal Building, but not the station boxes or circulation areas under the plazas.

Are turnstiles the answer to Calgary's transit woes? Cities that took the plunge tell us what they know​

An older article from July, but makes for an interesting discussion.
I also read this in the morning...

In the article they mention: Working towards a more sustainable way to do this type of policing, the fact that 'quite a few' people they dealt with this time are the same people they dealt with during the summer blitz... It's almost like there's a bigger problem going on (sarcasm).

Turnstiles don't solve THE problem, they solve a problem. That's fine for transit but then you just end up pushing the problem around like hot potato.

Last edited:
I also read this in the morning...

In the article they mention: Working towards a more sustainable way to do this type of policing, the fact that 'quite a few' people they dealt with this time are the same people they dealt with during the summer blitz... It's almost like there's a bigger problem going on (sarcasm).

Turnstiles don't solve THE problem, they solve a problem. That's fine for transit but then you just end up push the problem around like hot potato.
Don’t think they even push the problem around.

Turnstiles would help in some ways and be a detriment in others. My worry would be that it would let up on policing believing the turnstiles are doing it for them. It would help reduce the number of homeless people on the trains, and help keep the criminal element off of the platforms. It would help re-coup some costs from people who don't pay, but probably not enough to pay for the turnstile system. I'm not a champion for having turnstiles, but wouldn't be against them either.

Last edited:
I know nothing about policing but I feel like if you’re always dealing with the same people you’re doing something wrong.
Or the system in general is flawed. I'm not a criminal policing expert either, but I've heard from various people involved that it's usually the same people over and over when it comes to crime in the city. I heard recently, there was a guy in Kelowna (I think) who has been arrested something like 300 times in his life and is still out committing crimes. I've heard from people in Calgary who have said we have those same issues. People who have committed dozens and dozens of crimes but keep hitting the streets.

One thing everyone seems to overlook in the turnstiles conversations is Calgary's low income transit passes means a large majority of homeless people will probably still have access to the system. It's just a guess on my part, but I wouldn't be shocked if most of the individuals identified as 'problematic' qualify for the Band A pass that would get them past the turnstiles anyways as the cost of paying $5.60/month for legitimate access to our transit network isn't exactly much of a deterrent to those who like to make Calgary Transit their location of choice for loitering or undesirable behaviour. I'm pro-low income pass policy which makes me anti-turnstiles since it's a large capital and maintenance cost to keep out people who will probably still maintain access anyways.... not to mention turnstiles jumping.

Screenshot_20221114_205105_Chrome.jpg

Back