News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgary-transit-launches-four-car-ctrain-service

This is excellent news. For those not familiar with Calgary's LRT system, the station platforms had only been able to handle groupings of three cars at a time, and now can handle four. One of the biggest issues with the trains was over-crowding at rush hour. I personally have experienced not being able to get on trains because of this. I'm very pumped about this!

nenshi3.jpg

Attachments

• nenshi3.jpg
    nenshi3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,699
Here's an interesting little something. Apparently, a street car is being looked at as a way of connecting the Blue Line LRT to to Mount Royal, Currie and the area's business parks. I'd prefer something a little more robust (another C-Train Line) myself, but having seen the street cars in action in Amerstdam, I can't say I'm terribly against it. The plan would have it run up 37th street, but I'm not sure at which point it would divert Eastwards towards MRU et al. I've never really had a reason to commute to the area around peak traffic time, so I don't know what potential impact it could have on 37th street. It's wide enough that maybe they can get away with only removing a single lane of traffic.

The article also contains a hint that provincial committment to the Greenline could be forecoming.

This could start some good precident. Access to West-Campus, 17th Ave (not on, but on a side avenue), the communities south of the resevoir could potentially be well served by street cars.

EDIT: This article in Metro contains a routemap.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting little something. Apparently, a street car is being looked at as a way of connecting the Blue Line LRT to to Mount Royal, Currie and the area's business parks. I'd prefer something a little more robust (another C-Train Line) myself, but having seen the street cars in action in Amerstdam, I can't say I'm terribly against it. The plan would have it run up 37th street, but I'm not sure at which point it would divert Eastwards towards MRU et al. I've never really had a reason to commute to the area around peak traffic time, so I don't know what potential impact it could have on 37th street. It's wide enough that maybe they can get away with only removing a single lane of traffic.

The article also contains a hint that provincial committment to the Greenline could be forecoming.

This could start some good precident. Access to West-Campus, 17th Ave (not on, but on a side avenue), the communities south of the resevoir could potentially be well served by street cars.

EDIT: This article in Metro contains a routemap.

Very interesting. I can't say I would be against it either after using streetcars in other cities. I wonder if it will just end up being a bus though?

Not wanting to further derail the Radius Bridgeland thread, I wanted to follow up on Oddball's comment about the importance of retail in public squares and other spaces.

It's really crazy to look at a map of Calgary's streetcar network from the mid-20th century. You realize that every single vibrant retail street we have in this city is a product of a streetcar line: 33 Ave in Marda Loop, 4 St in Mission, 17 Ave in the Beltline, 1 St in Bridgeland, 9 Ave in Inglewood, 10 St in Kensington, 8 Ave in Downtown, etc. In fact, I wonder if there are any vibrant streets in this city that did not previously have a streetcar running along it.

Calgary-1945.gif

Not wanting to further derail the Radius Bridgeland thread, I wanted to follow up on Oddball's comment about the importance of retail in public squares and other spaces.

It's really crazy to look at a map of Calgary's streetcar network from the mid-20th century. You realize that every single vibrant retail street we have in this city is a product of a streetcar line: 33 Ave in Marda Loop, 4 St in Mission, 17 Ave in the Beltline, 1 St in Bridgeland, 9 Ave in Inglewood, 10 St in Kensington, 8 Ave in Downtown, etc. In fact, I wonder if there are any vibrant streets in this city that did not previously have a streetcar running along it.

That's interesting. It makes you realise how important transit can be when tying it into the public realm.

The city is looking at changing the at grade crossing at 25th ave. That would be great.
http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgar...ions-remove-ctrain-crossing-25-avenue-se.html

Excellent. They need to do what they should have done 40 years ago, and that's bury the section between 12th ave and Reader Rock Garden.

I've been thinking about that stretch for a while. I'd be fine with either a tunnel or an evelvated line. Whatever they do though, it should go all the way to the tunnel under 9th ave. Espcially if the plans to extend 17th ave into the Stampede grounds are for real.

Whatever they decide, the Greenline route will have an impact too. Maybe they can kill two birds with one stone when they ge the tunnelling machine out for that one too.

I'm happy with either option, but would prefer underground. My guess is that overhead would be cheaper and easier to implement, but u/g would be the better way long term.
Getting a Stampede entrance to open up at 17th would be amazing.

I cycle to work most days in the summer, going under 17th Av SE at the irrigation canal. Starting to see construction of the SE BRT - from my vantage point cycling I'll be able to see the bridges go up over the canal, and Deerfoot. Here is the first construction shots, we will see how I do updating here once in a while...

Looking west, I am pretty much underneath what will be the bridge over the irrigation canal:

BRT Construction starts IMG_2142
by ferreth, on Flickr

Looking east at the same location - you can see everything surveyed out, but no digging yet:

BRT Surveyed out IMG_2143
by ferreth, on Flickr

Let me know if there is a better place to post these - still learning the forum layout here!

Nice pics. This is a good spot. We always need more posts in the transportation section. Welcome to SRC.

Back