I also get the sense that this is playing off many Calgarian's desire to be "closer" to the mountains, and I guess on ski days residents here will shave a few minutes off the commute. Perhaps I am just underestimating how attractive people find that argument, enough to have substantial numbers of people buy expensive houses in this location to support a development at this scale.
I'm guessing if they can sell houses out in places like Skyview Ranch, etc...this area would be somewhat easier. Many going with the attitude of "if I'm going to be stuck relying on my car, might as well be closer to the mountains, and the Bow river "

Definitely not, and it was a major point of discussion when the land use for this development was being reviewed. Technically, prior to this development, much of the slop was private property, but with the rezoning, as a way to "sweeten the pot" Trinity made the slope ER lands and dedicated it as public environmental reserve. So no housing will go on the slope past the property lines as they exist now.

I'm very interested in the possible MUP connections to come out of this. The MUP under Sarcee Trail to Bowdale Crescent is a great start, but ultimately seems like a dead-end...does anyone have any insight into the Bowdale area in general?

I know a MUP is planned up the hill between Stoney Tr and Winsport, but something to the east of Winsport would be good. It looks like they've built another MUP to nowhere running up towards the Highland Shoppe...there's an old dirt road that runs up the hill to 85 St, but it's on the wrong side of the Winsport fence.

It wouldn't take much to connect to the new 'Point at Patterson Heights' development (speaking of development on the slopes, there will be a couple dozen mcmansions creeping in) - there are some great paved trails running from Patterson to Cougar Ridge.

From map 1 of the newly updated Calgary Transportation Plan you can see what the plans are for the pathway network.
1645113249609.png

1645113283277.png

A lot of that seems pretty wishful, though it would be awesome. A little hard to imagine funding for a dedicated path running parrallel to Sarcee Tr, or along the Edworthy access road (considering they just did a major stope stabilization project there which didn't seem to consider any additional ROW).

The path along the south side of Bow River and CP tracks seems more plausible, though hopefully they design it to handle drainage better than the section further east! That map shows an existing pathway running N-S at the Sarcee/16th, but I don't think there is or has ever been any kind of sidewalk there?

Cycling from TH to downhill would require backtracking to Bowfort interchange and then winding through Bowness a bit to get to the Bow River path. It wouldn't be that bad in practice, but it would be about 5km (at least half being on-street bikeway) to cover about 1300m as the crow flies

A pre-application (early concept) is going to CPC this week for the parcel on the west side of Bowfort Road / Canada Olympic Drive, south of the Trans Canada. This is directly west of the commercial complex that has been under construction for forever....
It is interesting to see a pre-app going to CPC, but I think the ASP for this development is pretty prescriptive, with all of these developments needing to go to CPC. Anyway, here is a link to the materials:
Deveraux Developments (same group doing the multi-res in the Northland Village Mall redevelopment) are the ones behind the project on this parcel by the looks of it. Here are the early concept images:

View attachment 332929
View attachment 332930
The development permit for this parcel/concept has now been submitted by Deveraux Developments. No images/drawings yet, but the description says 7 buildings and 541 units, so some pretty big density:

This area really had a chance to be something. Its definitely isolated but that's not even the worst part about this, its the poor quality of the developments. Mostly the materials they chose and continue to choose on projects like this. With so many other places to choose from why would anyone choose Trinity Hills? Imagine something the quality of Westman Village here...

Also found this: http://www.calgaryherald.com/pdf/winsport_masterplan.pdf

I remember being excited about the possibility of this COP redevelopment but it really fell short.

This area really had a chance to be something. Its definitely isolated but that's not even the worst part about this, its the poor quality of the developments. Mostly the materials they chose and continue to choose on projects like this. With so many other places to choose from why would anyone choose Trinity Hills? Imagine something the quality of Westman Village here...
If you compare it to places like Mission or Inglewood, it might not stack up well in some areas, but compare it to just about anywhere else, especially other suburban areas, and I think it holds up quite well. Lots of retail already, including half of a pretty decent high street at Na'a Drive (with the north half approved for construction). I think this new Deveraux one will have an internal high street as well. This, coupled with quick access to the Trans Canada or Sarcee, with quick access to the mountains, is pretty appealing. Not to mention the giant natural park space integrated into the development.

Yeah, the buildings are a bit bland and not stellar architecture (although, I do think Wellings will be pretty decent), but in terms of overall urban design, I think we would be fortunate if all of our suburban nodes had this level of quality.

Back